Chapter 33

Have you ever felt your heart stop beating?

I have. Like right now, with my best friend staring at me with that confused expression all over her face, her finger pointed at the shoes that belong to my other best friend.

Who's currently hiding in my kitchen, probably wiping my lipstick from his mouth.

Crap. I know she knows whose shoes those are. She's such a freaking lawyer, making me admit it, I hate it.

My laugh sounds more awkward than genuine. ''Joshuas'' I admit. ''He had to pee really bad so he came back.''

Her brows draw together, understandably so since everyone left a while ago. If Joshua had come back up for a pee, he would have been long gone by now. ''Joshua's here?''

Joshua, obviously hearing this, comes out of the kitchen, a sheepish smile on his face. ''Hey,''

Isabella looks even more confused now. ''Okay, what's going-''

There's three knocks on the door before she can finish her sentence. Isabella, being the closest to the door, checks the peephole and opens it up.

''I thought I'd come see what was taking you so lo-'' Kaydens words get cut off by the sight of me with Joshua, and his face morphs into the same confused expression his wife is currently still carrying.

''You guys having a party without us?''

We were about to.

''I had to pee.'' Joshua deadpans. ''And then I got hungry again.''

''You got hungry again.'' Isabella repeats. ''After you just left a dinner?''

''Yeah, you know how it goes,'' Joshua chuckles. ''Fast metabolism and all.''

''So what were you eating?'' Isabella asks, looking back and forth between us.

''Ice cream,'' I answer, Just as Joshua calls out something completely different.

''Grilled cheese.''

I wish I could punch his arm right now.

''I was having ice cream, he made himself a grilled cheese.''

Kayden clears his throat. ''Grilled cheese, huh?'' he looks right at Josh as he speaks. ''Would't mind one of those.''

Isabella turns to him, surprised. ''What?''

He shrugs. ''Grilled cheese sounds good, don't you think?''

Her brows furrow. ''Not after the fife course meal I had an hour ago.''

Kayden steps towards Joshua, patting him on the back and leading him to the kitchen. But the look on Kayden's face is like a look your mother gives you when you misbehaved in front of company.

Isabella moves over to the couch and I follow behind.

''So you two were just hanging out. Alone.''

''Yeah,'' I shrug, and I hate that I'm gaslighting her right now. ''So? It's Joshua. Be for real.''

''Sorry,'' her shoulders go up. ''I didn't know this was a regular thing for the two of you.''

''It's not.'' I lie. He's here every single night. He probably can't remember the last time he woke up in his own bed.

''Ow! What the fuck.'' Joshua's voice booms from the kitchen.

Isabella's eyes go wide, and I jump up. ''You want some ice cream?''

🌸

''That was close.''

Joshua faces me. ''Too close.''