Chapter 28

I've hated elevators ever since I got stuck in one when I was twelve.

I get nervous every single time I step into one. The walls feel like they're closing in on me and the air seems limited. They make weird sounds and I feel like I'm stuck in a big box with no way out.

Seems a tad dramatic, but I take the stairs every chance I get. I usually don't care how many flights of stairs I have to walk.

Usually.

This office party Soyana's work is having is on the roof of a 40 stories building, and that's where I draw the line.

But it means I have to sit through this metal box pushing me 400 feet into the air. So I guess you win some, you lose some.

My phone rings, making me jolt. It could only be one of the girls calling to ask me where I am, so I don't even check the Caller ID as I pick up.

"I'm coming up, I'm coming up." I rush out. "I read your texts."

"No you didn't." A deep voice responds, sending shivers down my spine.

''Joshua?''

''Nara?'' he sounds a lot more chipper than I do.

''What's up?'' I say, trying to appear casual and not like I'm holding onto my phone so tight I'm afraid it might shatter into little pieces.

''I was just about to ask you that same question.'' he says.

I don't get the chance to respond, because the door to the elevator finally whooshes open and there stands Joshua in all his glory, with his phone to his ear, smiling at me.

''Hi,''

I blink. ''What are you doing here?''

He lets out a laugh. ''Nice way to greet the man that's here to save your ass.''

''Save my ass?'' I repeat.

He nods, walking out of the elevator, towards me. ''You forget I have your location. I saw your car pull up outside about twenty minutes ago, and when I heard a bunch of girls talking about a crazy lady that refused to get into the elevator with them just now, I just assumed it was you.''

So no point in denying anything. ''They were loud.''

''They were.'' he agrees. ''I heard them say this from across the room.''

''Great,'' so now everyone in the room knows about the crazy lady that's scared of elevators.

''I'm kidding.'' he laughs after sensing my embarrassment. ''The restrooms at this place are unisex. I heard them talking while I was taking a leak.''

''Seriously, Joshua?''

He rolls his eyes. ''I am not gonna call it 'tinkling' anymore, it makes me feel like a kindergartner.''

''It's polite.''

''It's annoying.'' he counters.

''You're annoying.'' is the only thing I can come up with.

He gives me a deadpan look. ''Good one.''

''Shut up.''

He cocks his head. ''Are you coming or what?''

I gulp. ''It's just so high.''

''It's either thirty seconds in the elevator or I'm carrying you up to the roof on the stairs.''

''Carrying me?'' I laugh. He's ridiculous.

He points to the heels on my feet. ''Have you seen the shoes you're wearing? I don't even know how you walk around in those.''