Chapter 24

Joshua

I honestly think there's nothing Kayden likes more than pulling me off work.

Every single week there's something. Either it's a lunch, or he feels like going out for a run and he doesn't want to do it alone, he wants to go surfing with me. One time the fucker drove all the way over to my work for a fucking smoke.

I don't even smoke.

So I'm wondering what crazy thing he's got planned this evening when the front desk informs me that he's making his way over to my office.

A minute later, Kayden barges in as if he owns the building, with his hand covering both of his eyes.

''Why the fuck are you covering your eyes?'' I ask, because what the fuck?

He splits his fingers and looks at me through them, and when he notices nothing is going on in here, he moves the hand off his face.

He breathes out. ''Okay good. Your receptionist was looking at me all weird, I thought you had somebody in here.''

''Maybe she was looking at you weird because you're wearing a pink suit?'' I presume. ''Or the fact that you're here at 10 pm on a Monday?''

And by that I mean he's literally wearing a pink suit.

He looks down at his attire, shrugging. ''It's salmon. And Bella said I looked hot.''

''It's pink. And you look like you just had a busy workday singing with your barbershop quartet.''

''It's salmon.''

''Kayden, I'm not doing this Ross and Monica fight with you. Why are you here?''

He walks up to my desk and drops a red bag I hadn't even noticed him carrying.

''What is this?'' I ask, confused. It looks like a gift, but my birthday was months ago.

''It's a Cartier bracelet.''

That does answer my question, if anything, it confuses me even more. ''And you're gifting me a Cartier bracelet because...?''

''I know you've been meaning to get that one for a while.''

My brows scrunch. What is this guy up to? I open the package, and sure enough, the white gold bracelet I was planning on ordering sometime this week sparkles up at me, diamonds and all.

My eyes meet Kayden's and I fake a swoon, batting my lashes. ''Babe, you got me a ten thousand dollar bracelet? Come gimme a kiss.''

He throws the gift bag at my head, and we both laugh. ''Fucking idiot. You're welcome.''

''No seriously, why are you giving me this?''

''As a thank you. And because we need to talk,'' he answers, his voice a lot more somber now. He takes a seat and crosses his arms, his face suddenly is all serious.

So serious that my back straightens with doom. Shit. The last time he sounded this serious was when he called me from the hospital after Isabella's crash.

''What's going on?''

The fear on my face must become apparent to him because he shakes his head. ''Chill the fuck out, it's good. I swear.''

I breathe out. ''Jesus,''

He chuckles. ''You thought I got you something to deliver bad news?''

''I don't fucking know. It wouldn't be the first time.''

He ignores that. ''I had coffee with Bella's parents this morning,'' he says instead. ''I didn't want to- trust me. But it was something I had to do.''

Okay?