Chapter 32

Joshua

I stood in front of her door for an embarrassing amount of minutes before I decided to bite the bullet and knock.

But the beam on her face when she opened the door made all the uncertainty disappear as if it was never there.

''You came back,'' she says, but it comes out more like a question than a statement.

''I did,'' I clear my throat. ''Is that okay?''

''Of course.'' she smiles, moving out of the doorway. ''I was just cleaning the kitchen.''

I honestly don't really understand why I came back. Everyone, including myself, left about half an hour ago. I got in the car and circled the block, trying to figure out why I couldn't get myself to just drive home.

I still don't have an answer other than I didn't want to. And right now, that's good enough for me.

''I thought we could watch a movie or something.''

She cocks her head as the smile on her face morphs into a surprised expression.

''What?'' I ask, my heart rate going up, thinking I just said something stupid.

Her expression makes me question everything. Should I have gone home? Should I have kept my mouth shut or lied about why I'm here? I don't fucking know. I can't go back now, so I guess I wait and see if she kicks me out or not.

Is this what insecurity feels like? Because it fucking sucks.

''You came back to watch a movie with me?''

She doesn't sound like herself. Her tone is serious, full of doubt. It makes my head spin, trying to figure out if I gave her a reason to doubt me. This wouldn't be the first time we've watched a movie together.

But I guess we haven't really done anything like this since we've started...whatever it is that we're doing.

The atmosphere in the room makes my throat dry out and my heart beat even faster, so as an attempt to lighten the mood, I decide to make a joke without giving it a second thought.

''Well, you're on your period, so.''

The silence my joke is met with makes my stomach drop, realizing I may have fucked up.

I shake my head. ''Sorry. Dumb joke.''

Nara's lips purse, and she closes her eyes as if she's gathering herself. Before I can apologize again, she's turned her back to me and is heading towards the kitchen.

Fuck.

I follow behind her, trying not to punch myself in the face.

''Nar, I'm sorry.'' I apologize. ''I was kidding.''

She doesn't respond, just keeps her back to me and continues unloading the dishwasher.

''Nar.''

Nothing.

''Nara.''

Nada. Again.

I lean against the door frame, running a hand over my face.

''Nar, look at me, babe.''

Her hand freezes on the dish she was about to take out and she turns to me, her brows furrowed.

I'm not a man who gets intimidated easily, but the look on her face is making my skin feel hot and itchy.

''I was only joking, I swear.'' I tell her honestly, hoping she reads the sincerity behind my eyes and words. ''You know I don't care if you're on your period or not. I would f-''