Chapter 11

''You're doing great. Keep up the weekly physical therapy sessions for now and I'll see you again in six months.''

Isabella smiles, relief practically oozing off of her. ''Thank you so much, doctor Melgren. Truly.''

The doctor offers us a final nod as a farewell before leaving the consult-room, and Isabella starts putting the clothes she had to take off for the checkup back on.

''Oh my God, I was about to shit my pants.'' I squeal. I think I literally held my breath through the entire consult, scared I'd miss something or the doctor would hand us bad news.

Isabella also looks as white as a ghost. ''Girlfriend, I think I actually did.''

A laugh escapes me. ''I'm so freaking glad you're all good. She even cleared you for cardio workouts again! That's amazing.''

''I know,'' she breathes. ''Honestly, for a while, it seemed like I'd never get here.''

''But you did,'' I grin.

Her grin is definitely bigger than mine, and I hope it always stays that way. Nothing makes me happier than my friends' smiles being so big that it seems like they must hurt their cheeks. ''But I fucking did.''

An idea pops up in my head. ''Hey, you have anything else to do today?''

''No. I took the day off work because I thought this would take much longer. Why?''

''We should take a walk. I know there's a park around here somewhere.''

Isabella frowns. Any physical activity besides the ones she can execute with her man in private are a bore to her and so she avoids it like a plague. ''Can we have lunch afterward?''

''Yup.'' I chirp. ''I'll even pay.''

''You're on.''

🧡

''Kayden, I swear to God. Everything is healed the way it was supposed to. She even cleared me to work out intensively again.'' Bells squeals through the phone for the fourth time. Kayden Dominguez does concern as if it's his middle name so to say I'm surprised would be a lie. He's been blowing up her phone before Isabella's doctor even called us in for the consult.

''Yes!'' she shrieks. ''Yes. Even the X-rays. No, Kayden. No surgery needed after all. Everything looked fine.''

A pause, followed by a depleted sigh. ''Sorry, not fine. Perfect. Everything looked absolutely perfect.''

I can actually hear his voice through the phone and he's not even on speakerphone.

''Alright. I'll see you at home, okay?'' a sheepish smile suddenly takes over her face. ''I love you too. Bye.''

She's chuckling under her breath as she throws her phone back in her little purse.

''He's freaking out?''

''Completely panicking.'' She laughs. ''It's cute.''

''Adorable.'' I agree.

We make it approximately three seconds before we break out in laughter.

''Hey, was it weird?'' I ask after a few minutes of walking around the park wordlessly, soaking in the sun. I have been wanting to have this conversation for a couple of weeks now.

Isabella turns away from the view of the birds by the trees in the park and faces me. ''What was?''

''Going from never having committed to another person to suddenly being with someone you know you'll spend the rest of your life with.'' I blurt out as if I didn't just drop a bomb of a question.