Episode 26: A Noble Sacrifice

As we push further into Zerg territory, the swarm got numerous. The Overmind can be seen from a distance. Numerous airships are advancing but even they are having a hard time fighting against the Zerg troops.

Lupin went on ahead with the Protoss force to enter a melee against the Zerg units while I join the Terran forces to destroy their defenses.

We are losing ground. Our enemies outnumber us greatly. Even I have to fall back and rely on my ranged attacks just to fight back against the Zerg.

We are nearing our limit. This is the hardest fight so far. I'm getting exhausted so I knelt down to catch my breath.

"Damn, this is getting nowhere." I said while breathing heavily.

"Hey! You okay?" A marine stopped beside me. A vulture unit parked near me to listen in.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I answered.

"Get on! You've been going at it for a few hours now. Rest for a while." Says the rider.

"Yeah. Sorry about this." I answered. The marine supported me. I hop on the vulturd and sit behind the rider.

"Hang on." Says the rider. He turns around and falls back.

There are a lot of corpses in the area. Some units are retreating since they can no longer fight. The medics are doing everything they can to help the living.

The exhausted units fall back to regain their strength while the others replace them.

We suffered major casualties. I wonder how Lupin and the others are doing. He must be getting real exhausted about now.

* * *

Lupin

"Hyaaaah!" I brandish my weapon to a nearby Zergling to kill the last of them in this area.

We lost far too many. The fight is taking its toll on my body. I'm getting exhausted since this is the longest fight I've ever been without any rest.

"Praetor Lupin, please fall back with the others!" A Zealot near me exclaimed.

Our reinforcements are already here. This has been our plan to conserve our strength for the final battle. The 1st squad is the main force while the 2nd takes over whenever we reach our limit. I can't fight all day unlike the Protoss armies so, I need to take a break every now and then.

I nodded. "Got it." I slowly retreat.

"Conserve your strength young Lupin. You may be a strong warrior but even I can tell that you're not used to long battles like this." Fenix exclaimed.

"I understand. Please be careful." I said as I run past him.

There's a new force of Protoss warriors at the distance. I approach them and stopped near them to catch my breath.

They run past me without saying anything. I look back to see the state of the battlefield.

It's really chaotic. There are lots of Protoss gears on the ground. Even some of our air ships are getting destroyed one by one as they fight the Swarm.

The Zerg are being pushed back. But we had to make a lot of sacrifices to do so. I glance at Theo's direction and saw him riding on a vulture. Looks like Theo is also running out of juice huh?

I hasten my retreat. The sooner I get to rest, the sooner I return to the battlefield.

* * *

It's been 3 days ever since we launched our assault to the Overmind. The Zerg are still going strong even though they're already cornered from all sides.