Chapter 5

Jeevika
The next day, I had to Viren's 9 to 3 duty as well as mine, 3 to 9. In all I had a full day today.

It's not allowed to do duty of another doctor who has done post graduation but as Viren hasn't done post graduation, I can do his duty but he cannot do mine.

How clever he is!

As I walked towards his cabin, I saw a man sitting outside his room. Before I could even say anything, he quickly stood up and walked towards me.

"Hello ma'am. Dr. Viren already told me about the change of duties, so I'm gonna help you with everything you need today." He spoke with a smile on his face.

He looked sweet and kind.

"Thank you so much. I'll ring you if I need anything. What's the speed dial digit?" I asked.

"It's 0 ma'am."

Nodding and thanking him, I went inside Viren's cabin.

What am I even doing?

My subconscious spoke as I placed my handbag down and sat on the cushioned chair.

Comfortable chair

In our hospital, the kids room is designed very colourful, bright and playful. That's the reason why our desks and chairs are also colourful. However, this cabin is just as any doctor's room would look like.

A knock on the door took my attention away from the room. The man from earlier, poked his head in.

"The first patient is here."

"Okay, send them in please." I replied.

Before he could close the door, I quickly spoke again.

"And what's your name?"

"It's Vikas ma'am." He answered while bowing his head a little.

"Okay." I smiled and opened the register kept on the desk as Vikas quietly stepped out.

Let's do this

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Viren
"So soothing." Ritik's voice called out my thoughts as my eyes took in the green
Flora and fauna of Lansdowne.

We had started early in the morning and the drive from Delhi to Lansdowne was around 6 hours. So we'll probably reach around 11.
Dil Chahta Hai's title track was playing in our rental Maruti Suzuki Baleno. Even if this trip is short, I'm damn sure its going to be awesome.

Remembering about my duty today and all the ruckus I had made just to ensure that my leave didn't fill out, I pulled out my phone from my pocket. Turning on the mobile data, a new message from Dr Xan pulled in my notifications.

Smiling, I opened the messages to see a photo from her. Scrunching my brows, I downloaded the photo. I instantly recognised my cabin and stifled a laugh.

"What's going on?" Sam asked as he looked over my shoulder, into the phone.

"Dr Xan? Is he Chinese?" Sam asked, bewildered.

"Xan?" Ritika questioned too while he took a left turn.

"No guys." I laughed as I typed back.

Oh! Where have I seen this room? Uhh... it's my cabin ;)

"Then?" Sam asked, poking my shoulder.

Turning off the mobile data, I placed my phone on the dashboard and turned towards the confused Sam.

"It's a doctor in my hospital. She is doing my duty for today." I answered

"Okay. I get that but why is her name Xan?" Ritik was still as confused as Sam.

Chuckling, I shook my head.

"Her name is Jeevika and she is an Indian."

"Then why Xan?" This time Sam asked.

"That's a little secret between us." I stated.

I turned back to face the front and looked at Sam from the rear view mirror. I winked at him to which he huffed and crossed his arms. Smirking, I once again looked out the window to absorb the beautiful view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeevika
"Ah! I want to go home!" I whined as I placed my head in my hands.

Preeti laughed as she watched me getting cranky.

A knock on the door made me turn my head towards the it. It was past 8 and it was rear for a patient to come.

Vikas entered the room with a smile. I stood up and placed a smile on my face as well.

"Yes Vikas."

"Ma'am." He said, holding out his phone in his hand.

Confused, I hesitantly took the phone from his hand.

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Why is your phone off?" Viren's voice asked.

"Huh?" I quickly slipped my hand in my coat's pocket and fished out my phone. Clicking the power button, I waited my phone to lit up but it never did.

"Uh yes..I guess the battery died."

"Okay. Anyways, thank you for today. I really appreciate your help. I'll surely will do you duty one day." He said.

"Your welcome and ha ha very funny. We both know that you cannot do my duty." I replied, funnily.

"Haa! You caught me. But I'll help you in another way."

"Yeah sure." I spoke while putting my belongings back in my bag.

"Are you going home?" He asked while I could hear voices of his friends.

"Yes."

"Okay then. Bye and thank you once again." With that he cut the call.

Wow!

I returned the phone back to Vikas and he greeted me good night before leaving the room.

I lifted my bag and pushed in my chair inside the desk before turning to Preeti.

"Let's go." I called out as it was 8:42.

It was okay to leave a little early before the shift ends.
We switched off the lights and left the room.

Passing Viren's cabin, a smile made it's way to my face but before anyone could see, I quickly sobered up.

What's this?

We greeted the watchman before going our separate ways.
She takes the metro while I drive here in my second hand Swift. The hospital was not very far so it was okay to drive here everyday.
Reaching my car, I saw a paper placed under the wiper on the windshield.
Puzzled, I pulled out the paper from under the wiper and saw a note.

This is for you.

I was really confused as to who may have sent me this. Shaking my head, I unlocked the car and got in before plugging my phone to the charger.

After a few seconds, I turn on my phone and mobile data to see messages from my friends and mom. But one message stood out. It was from Viren.

I opened the chat a laughed as I saw his message.

Viren Vadhera sent you a coupon of Rs300

I know this isn't much but I hope you can eat dinner with this.

"Oh..." I drawled out as I figured that the note must be from him.

I quickly texted back.

Thank you. I sure wasn't in mood to make dinner tonight.

With that, I pulled out my car from the parking and drove towards home.

---------------------