Chapter 7

Viren
The rest of the day was uneventful. Soon as my shift got over, I packed my things and walked out the room.

"Good evening sir." Vikas called out, standing up. I greeted him back but my eyes were looking towards the child ward.

It hurt me that Jeevika didn't even meet me after that jumpscare in my cabin. Sighing, I turned my eyes back to Vikas and passed a small smile to his confused face.

As I started walking towards the main door, I felt a presence walk pass me. My nose quickly got the whiff of the same scent that was present in my cabin.

Jeevika

I looked at the figure and sure enough it was Jeevika

"Dr Xan! Wait up!" I called out and was surprised when she actually stopped in her tracks, standing in front of a car. I quickly ran towards her.

"Hi." I said slowly as she turned around to face me.

"Hello." Even though she replied, it still hurt that she was being this cold towards me.

"What happened? Have I done anything wrong?" I sincerely asked.

"What have you done right you may ask." She stated sarcastically.

"I'm sorry for making you do my shift. I promise nothing like this is ever gonna happen. I was desperate at that moment " I gave her the best puppy eyes I could do.

She just glared at me.

She is not gonna forgive me

I don't know why her forgiveness matters to me but it does.

Suddenly, she burst out laughing, clapping her hands as she tried to take few breaths in between. My confused face made her laugh even more.
After about a minute of her laughing fit, she stopped and crossed her arms

"Do you think only you can fool people huh?" She smirked at me and I don't know but it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"You sure you are not angry?"

"No Viren. I'm not. But still it was not a good way of threatening me to do your shift. Mind you, I don't ever do anyone's duty." She glared at the last part

Her answer made me wonder why she did mine.

Oh yeah! I didn't give her a choice.

"Noted." I spoke while joining my hands in front of my chest.

"See you tomorrow. " Dr. Xan didn't even wish me good night before she walked away towards the second lane of parking.

At least she is not angry.

I thought. I don't think anyone hates me because I'm always smile and laugh so it would have been a first if she stayed mad at me

"Pheww!" I sighed out and walked towards my car.

~~~~~~~~~~

"How was work?" Dad asked as he took a bite from his chapatti.

"It was good." I smiled remembering my encounter with Dr. Xan.

Her silence really took a load on me and I'm happy that we resolved that issue.

"Why are you smiling? Are you in love!?" Arjun exclaimed dropping his spoon onto the plate, making a clatter. His eyes wide.

"Does a person only smiles when he is in love?" I retorted.

I don't even like her and here he is saying I love her.

Hell is that!

"No but a person smiles all by themself when they are in love." He spoke his theory.

"Wow! A person do smile remembering a funny instance also." Mom joined our conversation.

"Enough." Dad's voice boomed in the dining area and that was all to shut us all up.

Arjun snickers as he wiggled his eyebrows while taking a bite.

I just gave him a bored look and continued eating.

~~~~~~~~~
The next morning, standing at the red light, I saw two little girls with some roses in their hands. There were around 10 roses in one girls hand. The peach and white roses stood out against their dull and faded clothing. Their faces had streaks of dirt. It really saddens me that at the age of learning and playing, they are trying to earn money.

130

I have time.

Rolling my window down, I called them to me. Happily they jogged towards the car.

"Brother please take one, we need some money." One of them spoke.

"I will take them but first tell me why are you here selling flowers and not at school studying?" I questioned.

My question seem to make them giggle and they both looked at each other with glint before turning towards me again.

"We have to buy a new doll which came into market some time back but we don't have enough money and our parents say that if we can earn it then we can definitely buy the doll." This time the other one answered.

"Oh bu-"

"And as for school, we go to school. I'm in V and she is in III standard." The one with the purple top said, showing me her toothy smile.

I was astounded by their plan however it still pleased me that they were going to school.

"Okay so how much more money is left for you to buy that doll?" My eyes darting towards the number above the red light.

57

Need to be quick

"Rs 100 more." The orange scarf one responded.

I quickly pulled out a note of Rs 100 and offered them with a smile.

"No, we will not take anything for free. You can take these flowers or we will not take the money." Purple top stated.

"How about you take this money and give flowers to anybody else for free because I really don't have anyone to give to." I insisted

"Don't you have anyone special in your life? Someone you love? Like?" Orange scarf questioned.

Suddenly, a green eyes female came in my mind.

Wow Viren calm down!

Why am I thinking about her?

I just met her a few days ago for God's sake.

"Quickly take this. The light will turn green soon." I asserted to which they both shook their mind.

They took the money from my hand and quickly threw the open bouquet of roses inside my car.

"Hey!" I shouted but before I could say anything else, the cars behind me started honking as the light turned green.

Accelerating the car, I looked at the two bunches of roses held together by a single thread.

Who will I give them to?

-------------

Kaur D