Chapter 8

Jeevika
Parking my car at the hospital, I walked towards the entrance. The air today was chilly.

Winter is coming

I love winter even though I feel so cold and my feet are always cold which makes my trip to washroom frequent but still I loved it. It's a shame it does not snow in Delhi.

Sighing, I greeted Vikas and nonchalantly carried on my way to my ward.
There was a little part in me which wanted to look at his cabin but I mentally scolded myself.

Why am I looking for him?

Opening the door to paediatric ward, I was greeted by the smell of antiseptics. I was so used to this smell that I didn't feel right when I didn't smell it.

Life of a doctor

I kept my bag on the table and quietly sat down. No one was here. Placing my elbows on the table, I dropped my head in my hands

Closing my eyes I saw someone who was  always on my mind since I met him. I liked Viren for protecting Anya but then hated him for what he did for his duty. I don't like doing duties for anyone. I mean it's your duty if your not here then apply for a leave. Why should other person do it.

I know I know that some doctors dislike me for this but I am like this only.

But still something told me that I would have done duty for Viren.

He is handsome afterall.

A voice called.

He is handsome but I got to know that he is the son of Dr. Vadhera. He was a senior doctor who retired some years back. He was a competent doctor and our chairman still talks to him. I heard chairman recruited many doctors on his word. If I please Viren enough maybe I'll get a few more zeroes in my salary.

Yesterday when I met Viren, I forgave him for what he did. I had to prepare my month end's report and wanted him to prepare. I did his duty and now he will do my work. But this new found information was a big deal than my report.

Hiding my smirk, I looked up as a patient entered.

"Hello. Please have a seat." I spoke with a smile.

~~~~~~~~~~

Lunch time!

Yes!

Shutting my register, I picked up my phone and left the ward. My eyes quickly found my target in the lobby. He was talking to Vikas.

I wonder what..

Vikas is there to help the non specialized doctors but I only see him with Viren. Like they are best friends.

Clearing my throat, I stood behind him with my arms crossed against my chest. Viren turned around and I did not fail to see surprise in his eyes. He quickly adjusted himself before a smile graced him face.

"What do I owe this pleasure?" He asked, bowing a little.

"I thought I could eat with you but if you don't want to-" I took a few steps ahead.

"Ah..."

I felt a warm hand around my forearm which immediately made me stop in my tracks. My forearm started heating while my heartbeat quickened.

I was never in a relationship and this was the first time someone that is from the male species held my hand.

Forearm

Yeah yeah forearm

Composing myself, I turned around to look at Viren's hand on my arm before meeting my gaze with his. His eyebrows were scrunched not knowing my inner turmoil. His gaze then, slowly went down on his hand and realising his unannounced touch, he pulled his hand back right away.

"I'm sorry." He apologized, unsure of my next moment.

"No worries." Whispering, I started walking towards the cafe, begging my heart to slow down.

We entered the cafe to see it brimming with people or should I say staff.

"No seat today also." Viren commented beside me to which I sadly nodded.

Huffing, I got in the line and thought what would I get today. Viren behind me in the queue.

"I'm getting rajma chawal. You?" He asked from behind me.

"Hmm.. that's nice. I will take that as well. What to go with it?."

"Nothing." He answered.

"Okay."

We slowly padded our way to the cashier. I ordered two plates of rajma chawal which was Rs 100. Both Viren and I handed our bills and he placed the bill on the counter.

After getting our plates of steaming rice, we searched through the area to find an empty seat.

"Here. Come on!" Viren exclaimed as he practically jogged towards the empty table. I followed his steps and placed down my plate before sitting down opposite him.

"Just a matter of few more days." Viren said as he took a bite of his meal.

I nodded.

As many new staff members joined this year, there was a lack of seating in the hospital. Few days ago, a notice came that new tables, chairs, desks, etc will be provided before the month end.

"So tell me about yourself." I spoke breaking the silence.

"There's nothing to tell. I'm have not done post graduation as you already know." He replied.

"No. About your famiy and all." I remolded my question.

He gave me an 'oh' look before answering my question.

"My dad was a doctor here before he retired. My mom is a homemaker and my brother is in college. Yours?"

"Dad is an engineer. Mom is a primary school teacher. Don't have siblings." My response was short.

"Okay."

The rest of the lunch passed smoothly. We talked about the hospital and our grievances with it, about our colleagues and everything in general.
Talking seem effortlessly with him. I was comfortable with him even in silence.

Maybe it's my first time interacting with a guys.

You know its not true.

A voice called. Maybe its true because it was the first time ever when someone irritated the shit out of me.

"Let's go." Viren's voice broke my chain of thoughts.

"Yeah."

Silently we sauntered to the hospital building.

"When does your shift ends?" He asked, standing in front of his cabin door.

"7."

"Mine too. See you in the evening." He smiled before taking a few steps back and gesturing with his hand for me to go.

Giving him a small smile, I continued towards my ward.

---------------

Likes and votes appreciated
Kaur D