Chapter 2

Jeevika
I came back to my cabin after leaving Anya in her room. Her parents had come back so it was now safe to leave her there.

Thank God to that doctor or else my job would have been on risk.

My stomach grumbled and I remembered that I had not eaten my lunch. So, I picked up my wallet and locked my cabin before going to the canteen.

The canteen had everything you could think of. From South Indian to North Indian and from veg to non veg. It was even spacious so that the staff could sit and eat their meal. It was the best part of this hospital.

Wait!

One of the best part of this hospital.

I walked to the counter after decided what to eat today.

Chicken sandwich!
Yum!

My mouth watered by just thinking about it.

Soon enough, it was my turn to order.

"One chicken vegetable sandwich and one sweet lemonade." I ordered my meal.

"Anything else?" The guy behind the counter asked as he typed in my order.

"No thanks. How much?" I asked and opener my wallet.

"Rs 100." He answered and tore the bill from the billing machine before giving it to me.

"Here."

A familiar yet unfamiliar voice spoke and a hand with a note of 100 rupees came into my view.

Before I could say anything, the counter guy spoke up.

"Thank you. You can take your order from the side." With that he went to the kitchen leaving me confused.

I turned around, ready to give my piece of mind to the person who paid my bill but I was shocked to see the doctor from earlier.

Viren.

"Hi." He spoke while waving his hand and showing me his white teeth.

Instead of greeting him with a smile, I furrowed my brows.

"Why did you do that?" I asked as I folded my arms, giving him a stern look.

"Just because I wanted to." He answered and widened his smile.

"You can't do that just because you wanted to. You are not my friend."

"Oh so that's the problem. Hi, I'm Viren." He extended his hand.

I looked at his hand before looking at him. He raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to shake his hand.

I slapped the 100 rupee note, I had earlier taken out, into his hand before replying him.

"Not interested." With that I turned around to collect my sandwich but looked back at him once again. "Don't do that again."

I warned before walking away from him.

Idiot!

Just because he helped me doesn't mean we are friends.

I huffed out a breath as I collected my sandwich with lemonade along with a sachet of ketchup.

I cannot eat sandwich without ketchup.

I went to the nearest table and sat down with my lunch. Unwrapping the sandwich, I took a bite and instantly the delicious taste touched my taste buds.

Yummy!

I was about to take another bite when the chair across me was pulled back and a annoyingly familiar person sat on it. Viren placed his chicken sandwich with chocolate shake on the table and started unwrapping the sandwich.

Lowering the sandwich from my mouth I looked at him, with a 'seriously' look.

"What are you doing here?" I inquired, irritation evident in my voice. I waited for his answer while he enjoyed two bites of his sandwich.

Gulping down the food, he answered me.

"There's no vacant table."

I had prepared myself to argue with him when I looked around just in case.

You never want to embarrass yourself.

He was telling the truth. All the tables and even the chairs were occupied. Not even one was free.

Shit!

I looked back at him to say it's okay that he can sit here, to see him already looking at me with a smirk on his face while he chewed on his sandwich.

"Shut up! Even if you wanted to sit here, you could ask first." I remarked as I took a bite.

"No time for that Xanadu . You can't say no to me." I smiled once again, a creepy smile may I add.

"Why wouldn't I say n- wait! What did you just call me?" I asked while coughing.

"What? Oh! Xanadu." He cooly stated as he finished his sandwich and started drinking his chocolate shake.

"Xanadu? Why are you calling me that? And for God's sake what it means" I asked bewildered after I overcame my coughing fit.

"Because your eyes are of xanadu colour. It's a greenish grey colour. But I think Xanadu is a bit weird and long to consider it a nickname. So what should I call you?" He was speaking to himself as if I was not sitting in front of him.

I scoffed looking at him and tried to understand his rubbish talks.

"Xan! Dr. Xan! Yes this is the perfect nickname and plus it would be a secret too." He chuckled and gave me a wink before getting up with his leftovers and leaving me confused as hell on the table.

What. The. Hell?

Seriously?

Is this guy even for real.

And wait a minute!

Xanadu?

Dr Xan?

"Ughh." I crumbled the cling foil and my empty glass of lemonade thinking it was Viren's head.

Taking a deep breath, I stood up and pushed the chair back inside before leaving the table. Throwing the trash into the bin, I looked at the time.

1:47

Let's go now

I turned around and was leaving the canteen when I saw him again. He was walking ahead of me and I thought I would be safe from him but alas. He turned around like he could sense I was walking behind him.

He smiled and mouthed 'Dr Xan' before laughing loudly. Few passerbys looked at us weirdly.

I mustered my scariest look and glared at him but he just laughed before turning around and running out of the canteen.

God!

We both are even on the same floor.

With a sad look on my face, I exited the canteen.

---------------------

New story and very different character nature.
Hope you'll will like it
XOXO
Kaur D