Chapter 11

Viren
I could feel Jeevika being tense as she sat beside me.

Heck! Even I was shocked when I heard the announcement. I knew these types of emergencies happen but very rarely.
I could chaos in the auditorium as everyone tried to grab a seat before the Chief started addressing us.

"What do you think happened?" Jeevika asked me, her eyes trained on the stage.

"An emergency?"

"Shut up!" She rolled her eyes at me before turning to her friend. I chuckled at her response.

A hand fell on my shoulders and I turned to my right to see Kunal.

"What is happening?" He asked the same question as earlier.

"Dude, why do you think I know what is happening?" I asked with a sarcastic smile.

He gave me a finger and leaned down in his seat.

Like seriously why do they think I know everything

Even though it was noisy a moment before, it became all quiet when the Chief entered the hall. He was wearing his coat but it had creases. Something which I never saw.

He tapped the mic before clearing his throat to speak.

"Good afternoon everyone. I know you all have thousands of questions as to why this meeting was suddenly called." His eyes watched every one of us as he uttered the next few words. "Actually there is a situation."

Hushed murmurs were heard in the silent auditorium as Jeevika gave me a confused look.

The room went silent again as the Chief spoke once again.

"There is a ship called Diamond Princess, stranded in Japan. Also, there is a virus outbreak. About three-fourth passengers are infected. The virus is called Covid-19."

The chief waited for any questions or whispers, when getting non, he continued.

"One person from Japan was infected and due to non quarantine measures or any safe measures, the whole ship was infected. Currently, the passengers are not allowed to leave the ship. There are Indians on this ship and they are not allowed to leave because the virus spreading rate is high."

A few pictures came on the screen. Some were of lab while some were of sick people. But one thing was common. The people were all Asian.

"You all probably have no idea of this disease because China played a god role in keeping it under covers. Yes you are right. Covid-19 erupted from Wuhan, China in 2019 but people came to know about this only when the ship was stranded on the outskirts of Japan. The symptoms of this disease are not new. Fever, cough, sore throat but they are deadly. There have been many deaths in China and even on the ship."

He took a deep breath. Our Chief Mr. Swami Narayan was not a one who would get scared easily. I have never seen him tense, ever. So whatever this disease is, it surely is fatal.

"The Government of India is trying to get our people back and when they do we as doctors have to treat them. The problem is that there is still no travel restrictions internationally and domestic so I believe there might be some cases in India also. I want all of you to go through the safety message written on the charts which will be pinned on boards. Under any given circumstance, the person who is showing the symptoms, has to be quarantined. I'm repeating this again, any person who is showing symptoms, has to be quarantined. Lastly, I want all of you to be safe. This can be a worldwide outbreak."

With that, the chief nodded sternly and left the auditorium. Everyone stood up to read the safety measures.

What is happening?

"Lets read the guidelines." I spoke as I stood up from the seat.

"Yes. Let's go." Kunal said.

All five of us made our way to our department building. As patients see us getting back to our routine, they visibly relaxed.

"What is going one?" An old lady asked, stopping me. A frantic expression on her face.

"Nothing ma'am. Just information on a new virus. Nothing to worry about. It is normal." I replied with a smile which seem to ease her mind.

She nodded with a smile and sat down on the chair again.

I couldn't tell her right now. In a few days, everyone will get to know on their own. But I had told her now, there would have been utter chaos.

I turned back to see Jeevika holding a paper in her hand with a smile on her face.

"You did the right thing."

"I always do the right thing darling." My cheeky smile me with her bored face.

"Don't call me darling!" She pointed her finger at me before going inside my cabin.

Ughh!! She's so mean. I love that!

Wait- why did she go in my cabin?

Confused, I walked to my room to see her sitting on my chair. With a smirk, I closed the door which caught her attention but she didn't look at me.

"What are you doing?" She asked going through the paper.

"Ah nothing doctor. Just wanted consultation from you." I answered. She shook her head at my words.

"Stop joking around and see this. This might become something serious." The no joke voice of her made me drop my act. I went to stand beside her, hovering over to read the paper.

The symptoms of the disease were written down as well as the safety measures.

"Masks, gloves and face shields are mandatory. Sanitize frequently. Stand at least 1 metre away from the person." Jeevika read the guidelines aloud.

Suddenly, I was pushed back and I was too stunned to balance myself which made me fall on the floor. The sound of laughter filled me ears as I looked up at Jeevika who was standing now with her arms crossed against her chest.

She looked so beautiful while laughing. Without any care, without any stress. If only I could stare her lifelong.

Where did it come from?

I cleared my mind of my thoughts and broke her laughing fit.

"What the hell!?"

"Oh what happened? I only did what was written in the paper." She gave me an innocent look, batting her lashes.

I gave her a glare before standing up and cleaning my pants.

"Don't you have to go to your department?" I asked as I pulled the chair from behind her and sat down.

"Yes but I wanted to see you first. I wanted to make sure you read these. Or else you will get me killed with you too." She replied with her eyes narrowing on me.

"Why will you get killed with me? Or are you saying you want to spend time with me.?" I inquired, placing my elbows on the table and dropping my head in my hands.

"What? No I-"

"Don't tell me you fell for me just because I gave you those flowers." I cut her off mid sentence and could see blush creeping up her cheeks.

"Forget it. There's no point talking to you." She uttered and left my cabin in hurry making me laugh.

But why do I want her to fall for me.

----------------

I apologize if any of the details about Covid-19 are wrong. Also some instances in the story are based on true events while some are fictional.
With that, let me know what you think?
Bye

Kaur D