Chapter 12

Viren
Ever since the announcement in the afternoon, the hospital was buzzing as usual. Patients didn't know about Covid-19 as for now and doctors were taking full precautions while treating them. However, few cases were showing up.

I treated more than half a dozen people who were complaining about fever and body ache. Oxygen of most of them were normal but few were having lower levels. But as per chief, we couldn't tell them yet if they have covid or not. Heck even I couldn't tell if they had or not. We didn't have any testing kit to determine the results which made it more difficult.

A knock on the door broke my chain of thoughts.

"Come in." I called out as I scribbled down some notes in my notebook.

"Sir." Vikas stood in front of me. "It is almost time to go."

Confused, I looked down at my watch.

6:54

I didn't even notice it was evening.

"I was so engrossed in the work, I totally forgot about time."

I closed my notebook and stood up, packing my belongings.

"I get it sir. Even this news. It came as a shock. I wonder how people will react to it." He murmured as he picked up the cup from the table.

"I am sure they will be dumbfounded but I really hope they comply with the safety measures."

Sighing, I patted his shoulder and walked out of my cabin. Looking down the hallway, I could see Jeevika talking with some patients. With a sad smile, she found me watching her and mouthed 'just a minute'.

I nodded before going towards the entrance.

Let's wait outside.

The evening air was cold but not yet chilly. The sound of my ringtone filled the air. Taking out my phone, I saw a familiar face on the screen.

"He-"

"Viren! Are you okay? Your dad just told me about this new disease. What was it? Something with Cold? Co-" I cut mom's frantic voice as a laugh escaped my mouth.

"Covid-19 mom." I corrected her while strolling in the parking.

"Yeah whatever. When are you coming home? I'm worried about you." I could hear stress in her words.

"I am okay mom. I will be home by 7:40, as usual. And there's nothing to worry about. There are not a lot of cases in India right now that is if people be careful about it." I spoke.

A gentle tap on my shoulder made me turn around to see Jeevika standing there. Her green eyes looking so attractive in the dark.

Why did I stop calling her Dr. Xan?

"Okay dear. I have made rajma chawal today. Come on time." Mom's voice took my attention back to the phone call.

"Yes mom. I have to go now. Bye! Love you!" With that, I end the call to see Jeevika smiling.

"What?" I asked, puzzled, pocketing my phone.

"Mama's boy I see." She commented with a sly smile.

"So what? Huh?" I challenged making her shake her head.

Heat creeped up my neck and I don't know why.

Hell Viren!

"Oh nothing. Just stating my observations."

"I didn't think you would see me after this afternoon." I uttered, changing the topic. I don't want the attention on me.

"Why? Wh-" She shut her mouth as soon as she opened it. "Shut up!"

"Oh Dr. Xan. You look cute when you get flustered." I wiggled my eyebrows at her scowling expression.

"It was a mistake to see you after all. I'm going bye."

She was about to walk away when I grabbed her wrist. She stopped dead in her tracks as soon as my hand touched her. Her skin was soft against mine. Slowly, I pulled her towards me, making her back touch again my front.

"Don't go." I whispered in her ear. My heart was pounding inside my chest.

"Why?" Her head turned to the side but her eyes never meeting mine.

"Because.." I drawled out, wanting to keep her close to me for a little while. She smelled of roses.

Beautiful pretty roses

Just like her

"Because?"

"Because then who will I call Dr. Xan?"

There was silence for a second before she snatched her arms from my grip. Turning around, her disbelieved face was met with my cheeky grin.

"Bye!" She didn't wait for me to reply as she gave me her back, walking towards her car.

"Bye Dr. Xan!" I shouted while laughing but she didn't look back once.

Chuckling, I trudged to my car.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I heard there is a new virus." Dad spoke as he ate a spoonful of rice.

"Yes. Covid-19." I replied after swallowing my bite.

"I tried to call Mr. Narayan but his secretary told me he was busy because of some new virus. It intrigued me and I searched online for it. It spread from China right?"

"Yes. Its symptoms are normal fever, cold and cough but Oxygen levels drop too. I think they are the only way to determine if a person is positive or not for now." I stated. Finishing an another bite, I continued. "Please all of you wear masks when going out and reduce the amount of people that come home mom.

"Okay son. You too take care. You have to go to hospital. Are special doctors required for this disease?" Mom voiced her questions.

"For now, I don't think so. Its symptoms are not special that need particular doctors." I answered which I don't think so eased her worries.

"During the times of pandemics, all doctors are summoned. Hospitals, government and other medical staff plead all doctors to come. It doesn't matter whether they are interns, nurses or doctors from specialized fields. Everybody has to help everybody." Dad spoke in his stern voice which made me think if he was in this situation before.

"Yes I agree. It is a doctor's duty to treat people but I just want him to be safe. We don't know if this virus is deadly or not."
She was just playing around with the food in her plate, her mind elsewhere.

"I promise. I will be careful but you all too, be careful." I placed my hand on top of hers, giving her a small smile.

I can feel it in my gut.

This pandemic is for sure as hell, deadly.

--------------

It's about to start!

Kaur D