Chapter 1

Viren
The next morning was uneventful. After dad dropped the marriage bomb, he didn't say anything at the breakfast. Maybe, he's giving me time.
Hugging mom and dad, I went out to my car and unlocked it. I had bought my car, Baleno, a year ago from my own salary. It was of dark blue colour which I loved. Opening the door, I got inside and placed my bag on the passenger seat. I closed the door, started the car and left the house.

The hospital was not far away from my home. It took just fifteen minutes to reach there.

I reached the hospital at 9 am sharp. Parking the car, I got out of the vehicle grabbing my bag and locked it behind me. The watchman greeted me and I replied with a smile and a salute before going through the double glass doors.

I worked at the Trinity Hospital. It was a semi private hospital where there were doctors of all fields. I, myself was not a specialist doctor. Therefore, my cabin was on the ground floor. The ground floor also had children's ward and to be honest, it was chaos and I hated it.

Kids of certain age are okay i:e is above ten. Below that age, I just can't handle them.

I unlocked my cabin and turned on the lights. The cabin was a simple white room. A brown desk, an office chair, a sofa with coffe table and a bookshelf were the only furniture. There were blinds instead of curtains. I didn't make any changes to the room because it didn't need any.

Placing my bag on the long desk, I picked up my coat from the back of the chair and called for Vikas. He was a helper of all the doctors on this floor but he was a good friend to me as well. I was pinning my name tag on the coat when he entered.

"Good morning sir. How are you?" He greeted while standing on the side of the table with his hands joined in front of him.

"Good morning Vikas. I'm fine and I hope so are you." I replied with a smile and he nodded. "So, we shall begin the day?" I asked sitting down on the chair.

"Yes sir. I'll send the first patient." He answered and walked out of the room.

I readied myself and soon enough a lady in her mid forties entered the room. I gave her a smile.

Let's do this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was not a busy day. I only had to look four patients. It was around 1 pm and this time most of the staff had their lunch. The hospital had a big canteen where everything was available. So it was a good thing that I didn't had to carry tiffin everyday. One could order anything.

Delicious. My mouth is watering.

I picked up the landline phone and was about to call the canteen when the door opened. Thinking it was a patient, I kept the phone down and waited for somebody to enter.

It is lunch for God's sake.
Cool Viren.

No body entered.

Someone might had opened it mistakenly.

Sighing, I got up from the chair to close the door when my gaze fell on something or rather someone.
A small toddler was crawling inside my cabin wearing a white pyjama set which was dirtied on the knee areas.

A kid! In my cabin!

Surprised and with a distaste expression on my face, I knelt down in front of the baby and picked her in my arms. It was a girl as she wore a pink hospital ribbon on her left wrist.

"What are you doing here baby? I asked as she stared at me in a trance.

She's pretty.

"Aren't you a naughty kid? Your parents must be worrying about you." I stated to which she giggled.

Oh my god!
I just made a kid laugh.

I scoffed and adjusted her in my arms before standing up. I opened the already ajar door with my foot and walked to the hallway. There were only few people there. I knew this little one could only come from the children ward so I called Vikas to take the baby back to her ward.

"Sir?" Vikas spoke as he stood in front of me, looking at the baby. I extended her in my arms to him.

"Vikas this one ha-" My sentence was broken by the voice of a frantic female.

"Anya!?"

I turned around and saw a beautiful girl with worry and horror on her face. She didn't seem to notice me as she was looking for something or someone.

"An-" Her words caught in her mouth as she looked at the now sleeping baby in my arms.

When did she sleep?
Kids can sleep anywhere.
Wait! She isn't even a kid
She's a toddler.

The girl's face relaxed and she breathed out aloud. Slowly she made her way towards me and her name tag caught my eye.

Dr.Jeevika

She stopped in front of me and looked up at me. She was beautiful. She had her sparkling green eyes with her long dark brown hair and full lips.

But nah!

I don't want a relationship now as I have to get married. I have been denying dad for so long.

What a joke!

"Can I?" She asked as she extended her arms in the direction of the little girl. I nodded and gently passed the sleeping girl to her arms. The doctor hugged her tightly with her eyes shut.

I don't know what's happening.

Was the baby hers?
Is the baby ill?
She doesn't look ill.

"She's Anya." The doctor's voice broke me out of my thoughts. I looked at her to find her already staring at me. "She had high fever so we had to admit her. She came last night only. Her parents had to leave because of some emergency and left her in my care. It's just that...i-it was lunch t-ime and I didn't notice when she crawled out of the room. I-I don't know what coul-"

"It's okay. It's not your fault. Babies at this age tend to crawl a lot. They are toddlers right?" I spoke interrupting her, with a unsure expression on my face.

I could see that she was really scared for the baby.

"And its not like she could exit the hospital." I chuckled but stopped when the doctor gave me a 'are you serious' look. I sobered up and cleared my throat.

"Yes. You are right but still she's our responsibility. Thank you so much." She appreciated, being genuinely thankful.

"No problem." I nodded while placing my hands in my pocket.

"I'm Doctor Jeevika." She introduced herself as she adjusted Anya in arms to stretch out her right hand to shake.

I got my hand out of my pocket and shook her hand.

"Doctor Viren Vadhera."

"I'll see you around Doctor." She spoke before turning around.

"I really don't want to."

She stopped in her tracks and looked back at me weirdly before shaking her head and leaving me standing there.

Did I say that aloud?

--------------------------------

Here's a new chapter
Votes and comments would be really appreciated and also I'll not update this story if I don't get any response.
So it's in your hands.
Kaur D