11

Progress. You were finally making progress.

Enough battle plans to last you years. Surprises to play on the Skeletons. Even plans in case things went wrong.

Aegeus even seemed to back down from you. You weren't sure why but you didn't really mind, it let you have much calmer meetings. In fact, by day ten of the meetings, you seemed to have an entire set of plans prepared. All that was left was to present them to your father. That was the hard part.

Your father was a very objective man whose opinions rarely changed. That's what worried you. He was never a fan of your tactics since, according to him, they're too 'violent' but what does he expect? Peaceful tactics to win battles? For you to hand a rose to your opponent?

You were currently walking to the throne room with Technoblade and Aegeus walking behind you, both deep in a conversation. A slightly heated discussion but you didn't bother trying to intercept.

You were taking deep breaths trying to prepare yourself but you weren't ready. You were sure that the majority of the nobility would be there. All of your confidence seemed to have flooded out of your body the second you left the meeting room.

As you reached the throne room, you stood in front of the door, your heart beating rapidly. With a final deep breath, you opened the door and marched to your designated seat with Technoblade and Aegeus following closely behind and taking their seats beside you.

"Now that the Generals have arrived, the meeting shall commence" your father exclaimed around the room.

Your eyes scanned the room, making a mental note of everyone at the table. The majority of them you had seen at the original meeting a few weeks ago where your father announced the war, but there were still a few people you didn't recognise. Though, you didn't mind. Either way, you would be presenting the plans to your father, not the nobility.

"Lord Technoblade, why don't you begin?" Your father stated, shocking you that he hadn't picked you to speak since you were the head general but it's not like you could say anything.

Technoblade stood up and began presenting the plans, wording each sentence so perfectly that it seemed like it came out of a book. The way he moved was graceful and majestic, nothing like the bloodlust warrior he was rumoured to be. Due to him being much taller, since you were sitting, you could see his facial expressions through the gap in his mask and you were still surprised to see how expressional he is when he speaks. His expressions definitely make up for his monotone voice which you seemed to of learned to like.

As he spoke, your mind seemed to drift, thinking of the war you were about to walk into. The casualties. The consequences. The risks. It just didn't feel right. Something seemed wrong. But you just couldn't put your finger on it so you tried to forget it. However, as the presentation went on, you found yourself thinking about it more and more. Your father had spent so long preventing wars and doing everything he could to not participate in them and now he was allowing you to walk right into one?

As you thought that, you realized your father has been odder and odder recently. Isolating himself. Being far more stressed than usual. Allowing you to do what you wanted. What was he doing? What was his plan?

"General y/n, do you have anything to add?" Your fathers booming voice spread across the room, pulling you from your daze.

"Not that I'm aware of. I believe Lord Technoblade has said everything" you answered with a smile, acting as if you hadn't been questioning your father's loyalty to the throne.

"Very well. I, hereby accept these battle plans and will appreciate their use of them on the battlefield. Congratulations Lord Aegeus, Lord Technoblade and General y/n. We hope to see you at the ball in a weeks time. Meeting adjourned" your father declared, waving his arm, dismissing you all from the room.

You took this invitation to leave happily and ran to the exit as fast as you could without seeming disrespectful. You walked down the corridor and round a corner before collapsing against a wall, slowly sliding down it and ending up sitting in a ball, wrapping your arms around your knees, which your head was resting between, as you tried to calm your breathing. You had been so stressed that you hadn't realised how shallow your breathing has been and how tired you now were.

You sat there for what felt like hours but in reality, it was only a few minutes when you heard the loud footsteps of someone. Someone whose footsteps you hadn't yet memorised. You looked up as the person turned the corner, you realising far too late that your vulnerable state was obvious.

As the person came into view, you recognised them immediately: Aegeus. Him suddenly being there, caused you to panic slightly. You did want him to see you like this, especially not after him calling you weak all these meetings. However, before you had a chance to react, he noticed you and kneeled down to your level.

"What are you- are...are you alright?" He asked, seeming very awkward. The question shocked you, to say the least, but nonetheless, you still answered immediately.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for your concern" you replied, shakily. You placed your hand on the ground and slowly lifted yourself up, Aegeus getting up at the same time and speed, his hands slightly outstretched to catch you in case you fell.

"Are you sure? You seemed very stressed in this mornings meeting and seemed frightened to enter the throne room earlier" Aegeus carried on.

"Really, I'm fine. There is just a lot going on at the moment. A lot to take in, you know?" You reassured him, placing a gentle but very fake smile on your face.

Aegeus nodded with the smallest hint of a smile pressed on his face. Though the conversation was over, the two of you stood in place, not moving while awkwardly staring at each other until, eventually, you had enough.

"Yes, so, I'm going to umm go. If you need me I'll be in the library" you stated before spinning on your heels and storming away.

As you walked away, your eyes stayed wide open in confusion and shock. Why had Aegeus suddenly become so nice to you? First it was the no longer making fun of you in meetings, then complementing one of your ideas in a meeting and now this? What was going on with that Pigman?

As you marched to the library you had two thoughts on your mind:

'Well, that was odd'

And

'Will Technoblade be there'