23

The sounds of music were muffled throughout the hallways of the fortress. Soldiers and civilians alike stood, leaning against the walls, searching for their own moment of calmness to breathe from the suffocating atmosphere of the party. Sure, it was most certainly entertaining but could get overwhelming at times. So, the people seek refuge in the corridors. You and Technoblade included.

You stumbled through the hallway, Technoblade a single step behind you with his bejewelled hand resting on the small of your back, leading you towards the library. Your half-lidded eyes scanned the seemingly spinning corridor.

"Did you know, that once, Zeus really wanted to get with this woman once, so he transformed himself into a goose and seduced her? She ended up giving birth to twins, who funnily enough, came from eggs" you mumbled, not really paying attention to where you were going.

Technoblade chuckled lightly in response. "Yes, Leda and the swan. I've heard the story. One of the twins was Helen of Troy, allegedly the most beautiful woman alive, correct?"

You hummed before continuing. "Yes, that is correct. There's also the tail of Kronos, who was so paranoid that he would be overthrown that he castrated his father and ate all his own children, apart from one, Zeus, who actually did end up overthrowing him and made Kronos throw up all the children, who were somehow still alive"

"Wonderful" Technoblade hummed as he noticed the flickering lights of the library fireplace illuminating into the now deserted hallway. "Do you always talk this much whilst intoxicated?"

You let out a loud, uncalled for laugh before deciding to respond. "If you think this is bad, you should have seen the last ball. Apparently, it got to the point where everyone was so sick of hearing me talk, that they all drank themselves to passing out! It hurt my ego a lot but it's a fun story to tell. Oh, actually, speaking of fun stories..."

And so you talked, and you continued to talk for what was most likely hours, with Technoblade listening to your every word as if it were the words of god, himself. The pair of you had taken seats at the long table that sat in the centre of the library, sitting next to one another with a wide variety of chosen books piled upon the wood.

The music from the ballroom could still vaguely be heard, a distant chorus of instruments whispering throughout the library as a constant reminder. The crackling of the fire echoed around the room, creating a sense of relaxation as your body began to sober itself.

After a few hours, the two of you had ended up on the complete opposite side of the vast library, both of you sprawled across a sofa, you being careful not to damage your dress. Technoblade sat on one end of the sofa, leaning against the armrest with a book of old Greek mythology in his hands as you sat sideways on the same furniture, your back leaning against Technoblade's shoulder.

You had been reading some sappy romance novel for most of the time and to say tou were bored of it was an understatement. This novel had practically every cliche love trope known to man and it was driving you crazy. And at one point, you physically cringed, gaining Technoblade's attention.

"Are you alright? I've felt you shifting non-stop and you seem severely annoyed. What is going on?" Technoblade questioned, his eyes finally leaving his book, only to see you sulking and sliding down his arm to the point where you were practically lying down, your head resting on his lap.

You groaned as you threw the book down onto the small coffee table in front of the sofa. "No, this book sucks. I'm bored"

"And why does that specific book, quote-unquote 'suck'?" Technoblade pressed on, an eyebrow of his raising.

"It's so cliche! It's like some sappy love story, yeah, but everything that happens is so cliche. Like, there was the whole one-bed thing, and then there was the fake dating whilst simultaneously being an enemy to lovers that have their first kiss during an argument where one of them yells something about doing what they do because they love them" you explained, your hands swinging around as you explained. "And don't get me started on the recent chapter I just read. One of them was having a panic attack, yeah? So what did the other do to stop it? Fucking kiss them. Does that even work? Probably not. It's stupid!"