29 || Pick Me

Song: The Weeknd, Drake - Trust Issues (slowed + reverb)

Josie

"Figure out who Nico's putting his money on tonight and you're set."

I walk out of the elevator and slowly come to a standstill behind the two men who are currently huddled over the coffee table.

"And how am I supposed to figure that out? The fights tonight." Wes says as he unzips a black duffle bag and begins to stuff whatever he's got on the coffee table into them.

I step around Sammy and Wes to peer at the coffee table and when I catch sight of the wads of cash, my eyes threaten to pop out of their sockets.

My eyes skim over the large black duffle bags across the room, only those appear to be stuffed already.

"Maybe you'll figure it out by the next fight." Sammy says snapping my attention back to them.

Fight...?

Fight.

I set my shopping bag down and glance at my phone screen, noting the date and suddenly everything clicks. "Are you talking about the underground fights?" I say, rounding the couch and standing before the two men who just might get me exactly what I'm looking for.

It was no secret that Nico had money. A lot of it.

But it seemed that no one really knew where it all came from.

I'd asked around, done my own research and the bits and pieces I'd been given weren't nearly enough to explain anything.

This wasn't the first time I'd caught men delivering these duffle bags. Though, I'd never seen what was inside them, until now.

But I'd managed to squeeze some information out of a few of the men who regularly delivered these duffle bags.

It wasn't easy, but after promising to bake something called hash brownies for a few of the guys, they'd told me that the bags belong to The Boss.

I'd figured that it was Nico they all worked for, but I had been mistaken. Apparently, there was someone above Nico. Someone that ran whatever operation Nico, Wes and Sammy were involved in, anonymously.

But it still didn't answer my question as to how Nico could afford all this.

Until yesterday, when I'd eavesdropped on the delivery men and caught them talking about The Fight.

A private, high stakes event where people bet on which fighter would survive.

The location changed each time and no one knew who to bet on until the event began. But they all knew one thing, when Nico placed a bet, he won.

Only problem was that no one knew who he bet on.

"It's none of your business." Wes mumbles, he doesn't even bother to glance up at me but I push my frustration to the side, because I was making it my business.

You see, I'd stumbled across a letter in the mail. It wasn't addressed to anyone but The Ossor - our building.And so, I'd opened it only to find a sheet of paper in poorly written handwriting.