ivy and gold

By : starseas ( ao3 )

Summary:

AU. "we should get married," louis says, and this time, neither of them say no.
Second part of "Glitter and Helium"

Harry's having trouble breathing.

His vision is a static blur of white stars and moonlight, the wooden paneled walls shifting in and out of focus like they're half draped in a dream. He exhales shakily and Louis swallows the sound, his lips moving soft against Harry's softly, their kiss becoming a blur of teeth and tongue and laughter, always laughter.

Because that's how it is with him and Louis, that's how it's been since they met in high school and that's still how it is now. Louis kisses Harry, almost bruising with the force of it, and Harry just smiles goofily, laughing into Louis' mouth.

Everything is soft and hazy, bedroom like a backyard fire.

It's strange because there's a blizzard whirling outside the window-snowflakes bright white against the heavy gray sky-but when Louis bites down on Harry's lip and laughs into him, Harry's whole body goes heavy and full of heat, his head turning into nothing but a rain cloud. They move against each other slowly, like shadows or smoke, and the moonlight stealing slowly over the walls makes Harry feel like he's drowning or maybe learning how to float.

"You alright, Curly?" Louis grins, pulling at Harry's hair.

Harry breathes out through his nose then, sharp, the world blurring out until it's just the moonlight and Louis looking down at him-Louis' body over his, Louis' legs between his thighs, spreading heat. Harry's so turned on that it's pathetic, because he's not a teenager anymore, he's twenty four years old and he should be able to handle himself, shouldn't he? He should be able to handle Louis.

"Don't do that," Harry says, trying to keep his voice down.

They're in the guestroom of his mum's winter cottage-Harry took time off from the bakery to visit for the week, and Louis faked sick and found a substitute to get out of coaching track at the local high school like he usually does. It's Wednesday now and they're staying until Sunday, which is great. It's wonderful, even. But-still, he has absolutely no idea if she's even gone to bed yet. It's past midnight, definitely, the whole room swimming in an inky purple sort of dimness, but even at his age the last thing in the world Harry needs is for his mum to hear him getting off with Louis Tomlinson. It's happened before and it's not happening again.

"Lou, don't," Harry says again, but his voice is shaking like a dead leaf because Louis is kissing his neck again and it feels so good that Harry can barely see straight, barely see anything at all.

And everything he can see is bright blue-

Bright blue, a drowning color, the same shade as Louis' eyes.

"Why not?" Louis frowns, propping himself up with his hands on either side of Harry's head. The bed is a warm mess of old quilts that they found in Harry's mum's linen closet, and Louis seems electric when he's this close up. Fucking hell, he's like a sea. Harry could drown in this bed. He feels like a ship that's found it's home and it's the craziest feeling in the world. Harry grins, watching as Louis tilts his head to the side, staring down at Harry with careful eyes. "You think your mum's gonna hear us, don't you?"

Harry nods, smiling goofily again. "I can get quite loud."

"I'll cover your mouth for you," Louis laughs, soft and warm as he ducks his head down to kiss at Harry's neck again, once, twice, the storm outside spinning like television static in the dark.