riding on a shooting star

By : starsfate ( ao3 )

Summary:

au. louis' a little spontaneous with buying rings and popping the question with a lion painted on his face.

"You're a menace," he states with stardust eyes.
"Yeah, but I'm your menace," Louis cheesily says before pecking a kiss to Harry's lips

"I'm gonna propose," Louis states.

The sun is shining high in the sky; it's a surprisingly clear day for England, which everyone is thankful for. Louis' always thought about proposing to Harry, especially since they've been dating for almost 4 years now, but when him and Zayn walk past the jewelry display window and the diamonds sparkled from the light hitting them, Louis decided there and then that he was going to now or, well get a ring now, at least.

"What?" Zayn's eyebrows rise on his forehead even though he's not all that surprised.

"I'm proposing to Harry," Louis repeats himself, eyes never leaving the window display that he's been staring intently at for the past minute.

"Did you just decide on this now?" clear amusement sounds through Zayn's voice as he steps closer to the window next to Louis to look inside.

"Pretty much," he deadpans.

"Good ol' Tommo," Zayn chuckles, patting him on the back, "So, how you gonna go about it?"

Louis turns to him with a thoughtful expression on his face that makes his eyebrows knit together, a little crease appearing on his forehead.

"I'm not sure yet. Something great though," he nods to himself.

"Wouldn't expect anything less. Wanna go inside and look at rings then?" Zayn ponders, he walks backwards towards the inside of the store.

Louis chuckles as he follows behind him without a second thought.

"Wow," he breathes looking down at the small rectangle box that holds about 30 bands.

They're all silver or white gold, but each have something different about them, whether it be a pattern or a simple gem inserted around it.

"Which do you think he'd like?" Louis turns to Zayn, his fringe falling over his blue eyes.

"Hmm, which one do you notice first when you look at them?"

Louis looks back down at the case and then lifts his eyes back up to the young saleswomen who smiles at him sweetly. He scans the case when he looks back down, his eyes stop over a simple white gold band with two parallel tracks that run around the whole thing making the middle seem raised.

He picks it up and feels the cool metal between his fingertips, a blinding smile starts to stretch across his face as a fireplace starts to flicker in his chest.

"This one," he says, barely a whisper.

Sliding the ring on his own finger, he looks down at it and how the lights over head make it almost look like its sparkling. He can't help when the smile that's already plastered on his face grows bigger, making the appels of his cheeks hurt and eyes go blurry.

He's in a trance when Zayn nudges his shoulder, "Did you hear that?" he's asking him.

"Hmm?" Louis asks, looking back down at the small band and picturing it on Harry's pale hand among all the other silly rings he wears.

"The price, Louis."

That seems to get him out of his trance. He slides the ring back off and places it on the counter, "Oh right, how much?" he gulps. It has to be well over a grand, even for its simplicity he can tell that it's pricey with the elegant design.