12. And Three steps back (Part 2)

Sorry for the slightly shorter chapter- I really wanted to end it the way it does. Don't get too mad at me- hopefully you still enjoy it. Don't forget to leave your thoughts- ideas, suggestions and of course a vote if you enjoyed it! 

Prepare yourselves...

TW- heavy themes, be careful.

'HELP SOMEBODY HELP.' Minho screamed, begging for someone to hear him.

It had been 5 days since Nick's death, and Leona was almost back to speaking normally- obviously the events had traumatised her deeply, but she understood there was no time to waste in the glade, her leg had almost fully healed allowing her to go back to running in the maze. The girl still refused to talk much to anyone, and Minho was uncertain about allowing her in the maze again. So a way of knowing whether the girl was safe or not would be simply through a whistle, Leona would whistle a simple, short tune, letting him know of her arrival back in the glade and he would reply with the same tune reversed. It was a small gesture to let each other know of their own safety due to the past week of events.

However, the world wasn't done with the events yet.

'HELPPP!!!' He screamed louder. 

Everyone was sitting down for dinner already, busying themselves in a deep chat to forget about the fact one of the runners. Minho was the last one they were waiting for- no one knew where he had gone- Leona was the one that had started arriving just few minutes before the doors were meant to close- still traumatised over the incident- but Minho? He was usually early- heck he even had bashed her for her carelessness each time, telling her off about how he needs to make sure she's always on time. When she arrived back in the glade and her whistle not being returned it was an immediate worry- so upon hearing his screams everyone jumped up.

The sight in front of her was definitely one to add to her collection of nightmares.

'No.' Leona spoke, 'No, no nO NO NO, NEWT?' She sobbed, 'HEY NEWT?' Newt was there too, how could she not have noticed him not being present. Sure, he stopped showing up to dinner and everyone suddenly started to lose track of the boys whereabouts but he was still one of her closest friends, one she cared about deeply, and her lack of investigation brought a deep, deep feeling of guilt upon her.

Minho had just managed to escape the maze, but in his arms, drooping down was an unconscious boy- one of their best friends. 

Minho dropped to the floor with Newt in his arms, his hot tears streaming down his ice cold face at the thought of his hurt best friend being dead, and with a coarse voice he cried for help again. 'SOMEBODY HELP HIM. PLEASE. PLEASE!' 

Without wasting another beat she ran forwards falling to the ground, checking his body- grabbing his face- moving his hair out the way, constantly calling for him to wake up.

'Hey NEWT?' Her voice cracked. 'NEWT YOU-' 

Minho moved his eyes from the boy in his arms to the girl now sobbing in front of him, his eyes searching her face- realising just how deeply they both cared about this boy- yet none of them managed to notice how mentally disturbed he felt.

'Newt, you- promised you wouldn't hurt yourself- promised you wouldn't do anything stupid!' She whispered, her voice cracking she allowed her head on his chest. She picked her head back up only to face Minho in anger. 'WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM.'

'I- I- I don't know, I saw him at the top, he had climbed up the vines and I immediately feared the worst.' He tried to find the words to explain what he saw but it was all a blurred mess in his brain, 'I was in a whole different section, I tried to run, tried to find him but it was too late. He was-'