15. Bondfire

'So let me get this straight...' Gally spoke, hands folded as his body circled her sitting one, 'The reason you stayed in the maze was because you wanted to...'

'Fear.' She replied.

'Fear, right but...'

'But I also wanted to find a way out- another hole that perhaps wasn't in the glade and instead in the maze.'

'Right, and did you find it?' Gally moved his head closer to hers to inspect her features, and surely enough she didn't even have to speak for him to know the answer. 'Mhmm, useless then?'

'Gally sit down, I'm the one asking questions.' Alby ordered giving Leona a reassuring smile, 'Speak.'

'When I was in the maze I- I heard a voice in my head.'

'Great so we're trusting the words of a crazy person.' Gally snickered.

Minho gave a threatening look to Gally forcing him to be quiet.

'It's not the first time it's happened, when uh Nick died, I heard it too- I think you all heard it. Except you heard my voice, I heard the real voice. One of what seemed to be a middle aged woman, a soft soothing voice except what she said was anything but.'

The boys looked at each other dumbfounded, after all hearing voices in your head is a sign of delusion, if it weren't for the fact they saw her quite literally being controlled they wouldn't have bothered to listen to a word that came out her mouth.

'The voice, it told me I had made the experiment far more interesting.'

'Experiment?' A boy whispered.

'Yes, we're all an experiment, they call us each by a certain letter and a number, Nick was A13. I had a memory where that same voice threatened to keep sending each one of you down if I didn't stop talking to you. I'm C2. Subject C2.'

'So we're all just test subjects? Placed under invigilation until they find what they're looking for?' Alby asked, now very much interested in the conversation.

She simply hummed a yes.

'That's ridiculous.' Gally interrupted, but was quickly shut up by the looks the boys in the room gave him. She understood they were on her side and were willing to listen.

'You heard it yourself Gally, when Nick died- 'Subject A13 what a shame' she kept repeating that, I think you need to give her a listen.' Fry suggested.

'She's probably trying to scare us all.' He scoffed.

'Why would I do that? I nearly died...'

'Yes. Twice? And yet you somehow escaped the inevitable... I wonder how that's possible.' Gally replied uninterested.

'Gally, stay quiet. Carry on Leona.' Alby ordered.

'I've heard two voices, one of a boy- sound's a bit our age, he told me not to go, but when I got trapped in the maze, the voice changed to the female one, talking about the experiment and us being a subject.' She chuckled a bit to herself before continuing, 'They actually told me I came here without their permission- said something about having to change my subject number now.'

'You came here without their permission? What do you have a death wish?' Minho asked.

'Maybe the world outside isn't as great as it seems.'

Gally swallowed deep, he had been through the changing before, he had received some memories from the outside world, and she's sure he knows what she means by that.

'At least now we kind of know why I'm the only girl here? This experiment were for the guys only...' She smiled before continuing...

'The voice spoke collectively, constantly saying 'we' which means there's a group, an organisation, maybe the boy and this woman are working together?' She turned to face Minho, 'You know in the maze walls, have you ever tried to find an answer within the walls?'