22. Changes

'So you've had it all figured out for over a year? The maze is just a cycle, a repetition, there's no way out?' Thomas asked in a state of shock.

Leona shook her head, 'No, but then I came with a note, about a hole- the maze is a code and the exit is through some hole... I don't know what the code could possibly be, but I do know that with the two canisters we found it could definitely lead us somewhere- I'm hoping it could take us to the exit...'

'Leona has helped us make the most progress with the escape than anyone ever has-' Minho started to explain.

'Why didn't you tell them? Everyone I mean... Why did you let them believe in a lie?'

'It was Nick's orders, Alby too agreed it was to tell no one about this- we're runners, we're the last bit of hope they have, and if we were to take it away from them...' Minho told.

'If we were to take it away from them then everyone would go insane, the glade would lose its joy and there would be nothing- nothing that would keep them going. That's why only Alby, Newt, Minho and I know this.'

The room filled with silence as Thomas swallowed the information they had learnt, it was difficult but important and it had to be said.

'But with you.' Minho straightened, 'With you confirming what Leona found- the canister they're in each griever- we might be able to figure out where they go.'

A gasp was let out by the girl and she finally understood her note- 'Minho.'

The two boys turned to face her, blinking with uncertainty at what she has just discovered.

'What you just said- The hole... The hole, it's not where the box comes up from, and it's not the cliff. You're right... If we find where they go during the day... We find our escape...'

'You want to go through the griever's hole?' Thomas jokingly asked, before his smile quickly disappeared as he gulped... 'You want to go through the griever's hole?' He repeated.

'I know it's dangerous, but what else could it be, think about it...' She sat down on the floor of the room her legs crossing over each other prying the two boys to do the same, she placed the canister in the middle between them, 'This was inside a griever, what if this is what is needed- what is detected to open up a new section, a new hole- somewhere where they all hide.' She explained to them everything she could, and the two listened intently visualising all possible outcomes.

'Ona that would be a death trap.' Minho explained.

'Maybe... But what if I'm right.' She raised her brows, proceeding to get up, 'I'm going to find out.' 

'Woah, hold it-' Minho began to hastily get up with Thomas questioning everything behind, but was rudely interrupted by a door that flung open, causing everyone to face the door quickly. 'Get out.' He immediately warned, making Leona face him with a soft look on her face, asking him to be a little bit nicer to the young boy.

'The girl-' Chuck struggled to breathe, as he hid behind the door.

'You're not allowed to be in here-'

'What happened Chuck is she awake?' Thomas ran out to meet the boy leaving Minho to sigh at the carelessness he had.

'She wants to speak to you Thomas.' Chuck told.

Leona heard this and immediately grabbed hold of Minho's wrist, pulling him towards the chaos in the centre of the glade. 'This is our chance to find out more about those two.'

Minho nodded.

At the centre of the chaos was none other than the mysterious girl, throwing rocks and anything she could find up there at the boys down here.