twenty

Very long chapter

M

eher has changed completely, but for good or for bad?

________________________________

Mazhar's POV,
"Doctor....the patient has regained consciousness."

For a whole minute I just stood there frozen thinking I misheard her. Did she just say Meher woke up? Is my baccha really back?

"Alhamdulillah! Mazhar.... Mazhar, Meher regained consciousness.... she's ok now!" Arsh was shaking me and I turned my head towards him still unable to comprehend it.

"Meher..."

"Yes!" He was grinning from ear to ear.

The doctor came out and patted my shoulder.
"Your prayers were heard. She has regained consciousness. Although, she's still too fragile and even her vitals are weak. It will take her a few days to recover. You can go meet her until we prepare to run some tests. But make sure not to give her any mental stress. We still don't know how her mental state is yet." He said and walked away.

I just came back from the mosque praying and pleading to Allah for almost an hour and finally our prayers were heard.

I called Mumma giving her the good news and immediately went to see my baby sister.

She was laying there with her wrist held in front of her as she seemed like she was scrutinizing it with a blank face. My heart squeezed inside my chest as her eyes drifted towards me and my own eyes filled with tears of joy filled with pain as she just stared at me blankly.

"Me... Meher....baccha...."

"Why am I still alive? What is all this?"

Her voice was weak yet devoid of any emotions.

"Don't say such things Meher. Everything will be alright." I tried to keep my voice as calm and stable as I could as I held her frail hand gently, placing it back down beside her.

"Bhai...."

"Ji baccha...."

"Did you...save me?"

I shuddered remembering the state I found her in but I just nodded, caressing her face. Alhamdulillah, she wasn't cold anymore, but was still pale as a ghost.

"Sorry....but you made a mistake."

Her words made me frown.
"Meher?"

"What good.... did it do to you by bringing me here? A heavy hospital bill and a lifelong burden to carry? Mazhar bhai, you should've just left me to die. Why save a useless person like me? Have you gone mad? It was such a great opportunity."

Her words had me dumbfounded. My sister was depressed to such an extent and I was completely oblivious about it?! What kind of brother am I?
And it's all because of that Azlaan! No, not just him, it was all our fault.

"Meher! You shouldn't say things like that. Do you know how scared and worried your brother was for you? Suicide is haram beta and it's never an option...." Arsh was trying to explain to her but she scoffed cutting him off.

"Then, would you be kind enough to kill me instead?"

Clearly, he was terrified with just her words and that no nonsense look on her face. So was I.

"No need to talk about it anymore. What's done is done. Meher, I may not know everything my baby sister went through but I can promise you, none of that will chase you again."
I held her hand assuring her, because, I was about to take her away from here, from everything and everyone.