From stumbled beginnings

Open on space...

Vic: So, what better place to start than the beginning? Well, you could get all artsy and start somewhere in the middle. All the cool directors do that. Get you all excited. You're like, "Whoa dude! What's goin' on, man? Why's that guy shooting that other guy?" Then they all do that rewind thing. Tell the tale, lay the breadcrumbs, roll the credits. Classic! But how about we start... before the beginning?

The words "From Stumbled Beginnings" float into frame.

A drum roll is heard and a military training base comes into view with soldiers running drills. View of a red drill leader and a group of recruits running across a bridge. Thea runs past him.

Hammer: Time to put the hammer down, boys! Let's make the lieutenant proud.

Simmons is seen just standing in the middle of the bridge.

Hammer: Simmons, what are you doing?!

Simmons: Oh God, this is my nightmare!

Hammer: Come on, man, you can do it! Just keep moving.

Simmons: But I already stopped! If I move now, my chances of falling off and breaking every bone in my body increase dramatically!

Grif appears running onto the bridge behind Simmons.

Grif: (Gasping for breath) Hey guys... Whew! Thanks for... Thanks for waiting up.

Hammer: Grif! We are not waiting for you!

Grif: (Still panting) Hey dude, what's the holdup?

Simmons: I just need a minute.

Thea noticed that no one was behind her so she goes back.

Hammer: Don't let the CO down, Simmons!

Simmons:​ (whimpers) I'm torn between my two great loves: being alive and pleasing a superior.

Thea comes back and runs towards them. Hammer notices her.

Hammer: What are you doing cadet Church?

Thea turns around and looks at him.

Thea: I'm gonna see if I can help him.

Thea comes towards them and looks at Grif.

Thea: Hey Grif.

Grif: Sup.

Thea: What's his deal?

Grif: No clue.

Simmons: I'm scared of heights!

Thea: So am I. How about this, I'll hold you hand and walk you across.

Simmons: (Sniffs) Okay.

Hammer: And whatever you do, don't look down.

Grif looks down and sees something.

Grif: Huh, what's that down there?

Thea looks down.

Thea: Is, that dog down there?

Simmons looks down

Simmons: Oh God!!

Hammer: God damn it.

Grif: Nice! I guess we just live up here now, right? What's your name again?

Simmons: (gags) I'm gonna throw up in my helmet.

Grif: Eh, it doesn't matter. I'm Grif, by the way, and I think this is the beginning of a singularly beneficial relationship where you get me out of all these stupid boot camp drills.