The Baby

Veronicas face sadden, she looked down at her hands before saying, "The baby." Bucky's face did falter and his grip on her hand loosen, which scared Veronica. It's been 8 months since the horrifying passing of her, their, child. She had been meaning to tell him but she was honestly terrified, breaking down every time she thought about it. There were times where she broke down when Bucky was around, she just played it off, claiming 'mood swings. She was still healing herself. 

When Hope disgustingly mentioned Veronica had a miscarriage, he didn't believe her. But then he saw the way Ronnie's whole body tensed up, the way her hands shook. She didn't make eye contact with him, causing him to stare at her stomach and then back at her. He remembers Steve whispering his name as his metal arm started to tense, but he just gave Steve a lock. One that told everyone Bucky was hurt. 

He of course was angry, devastated by the news and he wanted answers, but he instantly knew Veronica had to experience it, alone. He knew by the looks on Wanda, Natashas, and Loki's faces that they knew of it, but Veronica experienced most of it alone. So, he pushed aside his anger, knowing it would be hard for her, deciding to talk to her about it later, when they were alone. Veronica had lashed out on Hope and the thoughts he had vanished, the only thing on his mind was his future wife. 

"We don't have to discuss this now," Bucky told her, as much as he wanted to know everything she just started to feel better. Veronica looked at him, seeing he wasn't looking her in her eyes, his eyes on the colored grass. He wanted to know, he needed to know. Even if she was still bruised from the memory of that day, he deserved to know. 

Shaking her head she said, "No if I don't speak now, you might hate me later." She believed that if she didn't tell him now, he would resent her moving forward. There was still a possibility that he could hate her after she tell him because he didn't know sooner, but she would rather tell him now when she was vulnerable. 

"Hey, don't ever say that. I could never hate the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with," Bucky said grabbing ahold of her face. They leaned their foreheads against each other rubbing their noses against each other. Veronica closed her eyes, feeling a sense of nostalgia. When the pair first started catching feelings for each other, Bucky would always connect their foreheads, making her fall deeper in love with him. He made her feel safe even before she knew how she felt.  

A couple of moments passed before Veronica pulled away, tears building in her eyes. Bucky wiped them away running his hands down my face and then to my arms. He held my hands squeezing them.

"You don't have to say anything," Bucky told her, but she shook her head. She removed his arms from her and wrapped them around herself, making a small distance between them. Bucky gave her a sad look but also an encouraging one. 

"No, no it's fine," Veronica said, "Hope, um, she was right," She laughed a little licking her lips and shaking her head. 

"It was eight months ago. Eight months ago I was pregnant and then I wasn't," Veronica took a pause looking up at the sky trying to keep the tears at bay. She hated this, she hated herself for causing this.

"I had woken up in a pool of my own blood my body felt like I was being stabbed repeatedly. I went to get up, to go to the bathroom but everything hurt so much I couldn't move. I remember falling onto the floor clutching my stomach, feeling so empty. I asked Friday to send my mom and be discrete because I didn't want to cause a scene. She came and consoled me, but she had a look on her face, she knew. We called Helen, I didn't want Bruce because I knew he was with dad and Bruce can't hold a secret from him. I think they're in love," She joked causing Bucky to chuckle a little. 

"She came and saw everything and they had to move me on the gurney. When I saw her face, she had the same look like my mother wore. I didn't know what was happening and I was terrified," She stopped because her voice began to break. She covered her face with her hands trying to contain the sounds of her cries. Bucky grabbed ahold of her hands pulling them from her face, bringing her into his arms. His arms wrapped around her body, one in her hair the other around her waist.