The Birthday

It had been three and a half months since the girl of his dreams abandoned him

It had been three and a half months since the girl of his dreams abandoned him. Three and a half months since the world around him paused and scattered. He'd felt so alone. Of course, he wasn't alone, he had Steve, Natasha, Sam, and the other but he was used to having them while also having her. He hadn't gotten used to not having her around, maybe that was their problem.

Every day, they were always together, he began to become clingy, dependent on her. So much that he didn't know how to function fully without her. Maybe that was a testament to their love. But it became too much for him.

Here he was, on January 4th, with a sad smile on his face as he prepared to go to her room. He had briefly gone to his room so he could grab something, leaving Clint with her.

Like I said before, she was hardly ever alone.

When he got back to her room, he was greeted with a teary-eyed Clint.

"You know, that one time Natasha chased Steve and Tony around with her knives yelling about how they broke one of her favorite guns? It was me," he laughed, "to this day, she still blames them, it's funny actually"

A chuckle brought him out of his "convo" with Veronica. His eyes grew dark knowing that his secret was blown. He then brought a finger to his lips and made a shushing noise, "don't tell nat," he grimaced. In his voice you could hear slight fear, Bucky understood. Natasha Romanoff was not a person to be played with, especially during a time like this.

Bucky nodded his head jokingly while Clint turned back to Veronica, "Looks like lover boy is here, I'll see you later," and with that, he got up and walked to the door.

"Seriously, don't tell Nat," Clint said while walking out the door. Laughing Clint walked over to the chair by Veronica's bed and sat down, placing the items in his hand on the ground. He still wasn't used to seeing her like this, she look asleep but weak.

He remembers when she first didn't wake up, he had a panic attack, violently shaking herm begging her to wake up. It took Steve, Clint, Sam, and Kol to get him away, and when they did he was still yelling. It got so bad that Davina had to put him to sleep, they felt horrible.

"Hey pretty girl," Bucky whispered to her, he gently pushed the hair from off her face and behind her ear. He didn't remove his hand, however, he placed it on her cheek cupping it gently. She was so beautiful.

He stared at her, long enough for him to start crying. He missed her, he missed her voice, he missed the angelic song that was her laugh, he missed every affectionate touch she brought him. After so many years of being someone's property, she made him feel like his own being. She let him know he was in control of his life, of his actions. She let him know he was capable of love and he never felt love as great as hers.

Small tears turned into multiple, soon he had to turn his eyes from her. Then he remembered.

"Happy birthday gorgeous," Bucky said while stroking her hair. He looked down to the floor bringing up the items he place on the floor.