The Choice

"I'm sorry, What?" a voice asked from behind them. Turning around they were met with a confused and sad Hope.

Hope had just come from school with an open mind, but as she walked through the door and heard her aunt utter the words that would confirm the one thought that had been on her mind... her mind shut down. Veronica was alive.

Guilt.

It seemed to be the emotion that all the mikaelsons associated themselves with lately. Over the last few months, they had time to think about their actions and slowly wallow in sadness. They didn't understand why they treated veronica that way, now and before, they just couldn't help themselves.

"Hope, Veronica is alive," Klaus stated very sternly. He didn't know how she would react, from the way she treated Veronica, Hope had a short fuse. Things didn't add up anymore. They waited for Hope to lash out, scream out of anger, even a little reaction that would express that she wanted revenge for some implacable reason. However, they were greeted with tears and a smile.

"She's alive... She's ok," Hope whispered to herself, she was happy. The family was confused but Hope wasn't. Over the last couple of months, she had time to think, she had been embarrassed and humiliated by her actions and couldn't believe what she had done. She was running off of jealousy and being spoiled her whole life.

She loved Veronica, she didn't have the right to feel that way about her after everything she had done but, she did love her. She was her twin, and she could finally see that she was the problem. Hope had begun to resent the family, as they did her. You can never fully hate your family of course but they all blamed each other.

If Klaus and Hayley never treated us differently, maybe I wouldn't have become the brat I was, Hope thought. She pictured thousands of different realities where she and Veronica lived a happy life, a life where she didn't get abused and they went through everything together, as a family. But it was partly her fault she would never get that.

Hope got a happy life, being the only concern of the family for 18 years, getting everything she wanted while Veronica got abused and forgotten. She was to blame for that as well. Hope had the power to stop her trauma, but she didn't want to. Too much attention makes people forget everyone.

Hope wanted nothing more than to apologize and beg Veronica for her forgiveness but she knew only in a different universe, Veronica would consider it.

"I'm sorry," Hope said after a few moments of silence, confusing the others, "I miss her, and I ruined any chance we had at even getting her back because of how self-absorbed I am. There's no explanation for my actions but jealousy and power." Pausing to take a breath, Hope walked further into the room.

"All my life you guys gave me this 'platform' where I could do whatever I want and instead of stopping it, I let it consume me and create a monster. I made Veronica believe that she was a monster because of what we did to her, but it's us, it's me. I was so jealous of how Beautiful and Talented she had grown to be that I degraded her to the point of no return and it took me to believe that she was dead to realize what a mistake I'd made. I know that as time went on, we would forget about her, just like before, we would still feel guilty but she would be a memory," every sentence her voice cracked, pulling tears from everyone in the room.

"She's the forgotten Mikealson," Hope started but Elijah cut in, "but she's also the most memorable, and honorable."