Sticky Situations

A few months have passed now and the time that I have gotten to spend with my family right at my childhood home almost made it feel like there was no gap between us at all.

It was eating me alive and I eventually had to ask her,

I came downstairs to my mother cooking. It was late in the afternoon and I had just woken up from a nap.

"Hey, ma." I went up to her and rested my head on her shoulder. I wasn't too tall but my mother was shorter than me.

"How was your nap?" She asked me, stirring her food while talking to me.

"The best one I've had in years." I did a big stretch and let out a yawn. When I looked back at her she was already looking at me.

"Oh really, so that means you can give me a hand in the kitchen then?" She bumped her hip into mine as she passed by me to get to the fridge.

"I haven't asked you yet, but...how come you didn't warn us about what was going on? We thought you guys abandoned us." I wasn't angry at her and she knew I wasn't. I just wanted to hear it from her perspective.

"That would have put all of us in danger, honey. Especially at a young age you guys would have risked everything for us, and don't try to object because it's in our blood." Well she was right about that, we tend to act before we think.

"We eventually began to leave little hints here and there because we knew you guys would put two and two together to see that things weren't adding up. We just had to sacrifice for a little for him to get his guard down." She told me, shrugging her shoulders as if it was nothing.

"Five years isn't a little time, ma. And you were gone for longer than that."

"I know, I first was away taking care of business, I had to fight with your father to stay with you guys in case he had to protect the two of you. I'm tough but your father can do more alone than I can, I hate to admit."

We spent the afternoon talking about all the things that have happened over the years while she was away, she honestly did have some pretty interesting stories to tell.

My mother is like my best friend, when I'm with her I feel like time slows down. There's no rush or any dying need to get through the day, because she was always there with me.

I forgot how good that felt.

Right now we were in the backyard laid out on our beach chairs. The sun was out and hot enough to give me a decent tan.

Then suddenly a tall figure took away all of my sunlight and the heat was no longer on my skin.

I opened my eyes and of course the person looking down at me was Stephan. Then he began to look down at my body.

"Good afternoon, Ms.Stone, how are you feeling?" He said, sounding the like the most civilized person on the planet, when in fact he was the complete opposite.

Sometimes I forget that Stephan knows what my mother is capable of, and he's actually seen her get her hands dirty years ago.

I wonder if he has ever seen me as a child, he has known my parents for years, but they have only worked together just a few times.

They of course wasn't best of friends but they did business together.

"Doing well, how about yourself?"

They began to exchange small talk, which turned into a full on conversation. Maybe they are closer than I thought?

"I'll let you guys get to it, this got boring." I stood up and began to walk back inside.