Lost

Chapter Fifteen

Sometimes in life, there are moments that make no sense. Moments that make you question everything you've ever been through, you'll try to piece everything together but you'll only end up right where you started.

Lost.

We just walked through the doors of the ballroom. The guys weren't too far behind us, just at a safe distance.

The room was enormous, it had a gigantic dance floor and on each side were tables, food and wine spots all around, I even spotted a mini bar outside.

I could see lit torches from where I was standing, it looked to be a section for adults only. Sophia didn't notice yet but I didn't want to tell her just yet, she would get distracted. It would cause me to get distracted, which can't happen.

Soft music was playing in the background, and in the far corner there was a young woman singing along as she swayed her hips. Her voice was soft and it went along well with the music, it led me to think it could be her song.

They gave me a copy of a picture with his face on it, I needed to be positive so I took it with me and tucked it in the strap across my thigh.

While Sophia was gawking at the fancy decor I was looking around and observing everything around me.

Next to the entrance there were a few people coming in and greeting the ones who were waiting on their arrival.

Then the ones already posted up at the wine tables to get a quick drink in before the rest of their family gets here. They probably grew up known as the family disappointment.

Behind all of these luxury suits and expensive dresses there is a different story far from the image they are trying to portray.

"Emma, let's go on the second floor." Sophia tugged at my arm, pulling me towards the stairs before I even get to reply.

"Do I even have a choice." I mumbled and allowed her to pull me around to wherever she wanted. It was like that for the next half hour or so.

We looked around, got greeted by some people and tried a few drinks at the bar. There was people who started to gather around on the dance floor practicing early for tonight's dances.

I'm surely not a professional dancer but I do have the dance moves memorized in my head, I already taught Sophia.

She is much more of a lightweight so we agreed no more drinks until the dances are over. Even she knows that if she has another drink she would be tripping on the dance floor instead of actually dancing.

We need to keep a low profile until we spot Steve, once we spot him first then we can get seen. It's a good thing I didn't feel nervous at all. I felt in control of this situation, we got this.

Tonight is supposed to be the night we get one step closer to the truth behind this whole twisted story. There is no telling what Steve is going to tell us, if he even tells us anything at all.

It's a possibility that Steve can be playing a role in this so even if he tells us something, could we even trust his word?

Yes, I know that just because of the information they have gathered doesn't necessarily mean that my mother is alive, but it still means something.