Bittersweet

Chapter Seven

Monday rolled around and usually I enjoyed working, even on the stressful days when I put in overtime just to finish up some paperwork.

Staying busy was something I always aimed for, sitting around doing nothing would drive me nuts, but today was different.

There was a strong feeling that today was going to be a day filled with stress and tension. Sophia is going to try to apologize to me again, but I still need my time away from her and the topic in general.

I just wanted today to go by like any other day, but the memories of Friday night had claimed it's spot in my head as well as the memories the following  morning.

Jason still hasn't got back to me even though I've left him countless voicemails. He's probably deep into some business right now and doesn't have the time.

When he eventually does I'm not even sure what I'm going to tell him. How would he react to Stephan and Aaron being in New York?

I heavily sighed to myself as my building came into view. Thankfully, I have my own office so if I was able to dodge my way past everyone I would be spending my day peacefully in there.

"Good morning, Ms.Stone!" Aneise chirped as she tore her eyes away from her computer to greet me, but her fingers kept typing away.

Her posture was firm, her neck was tilted up slightly with her shoulders pushed back a bit. Aneise was a very sweet woman but she was the type that cared a bit too much about what everyone thinks of her.

She tries to live up to the expectations of everybody else, she won't admit it but she's constantly trying to raise her standards because she feels the need to always improve herself.

Even though she only means well it's impossible for somebody to take care of everyone else and still have time to care for themselves, it's honestly concerning.

Her desk sat right at the front so that she was able to greet any and everybody. Don't get me wrong, she always looks like she enjoys doing it. It's not hard to tell she isn't just giving a greeting because she has to, hers are genuine.

I returned the greeting and passed her desk. To my surprise there was nobody was waiting at the elevator.

Maybe it's because I arrived here thirty minutes before my shift began, it was only half past seven.

I let my guard down as the doors slid closed but then a perfectly manicured hand separated them. Sophias face appeared and she stopped in her tracks.

"I-I can take the stairs if-"

The corner of my lips tugged out a small smile and I stepped to the side. It wasn't big but it was just enough to not seem hostile.

It looked like she wasn't expecting me to be in the elevator, a part of me believes she also came a bit early to avoid us running into each other.

We stood in silence as the elevator moved up to the top floor. As soon as we reached Sophias door I kept walking then she called out to me.

"Hey, I know you're still mad at me and nothing I say can justify what I did, but I hope you're doing okay."

"I am." With a small smile I turned on my heels and continued down the hall to my office. Once I got around the corner I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

The smell of my office calmed me down as I shut the door. Then I saw the large pile of papers stacked on top of my desk with a note on top.

I know you called out sick yesterday but I need these files documented and put away, thank you.

Mr.Rogers