Part 1, Chapter 7: lunch

Thank you guys so much for 24k followers.

Anyway, this is probably the final day you guys get a triple upload so be grateful.
_________________________________________
Clay POV

After several hours of training the instructors sent us off into a room where lunch was being served. Nick and I got there first and each got a bowl of chunky beef stew and a loaf of fresh bread. My best friend and I sat down at a circular table which could sit 6 with a bowl of fresh fruit in the middle.

Once the other tributes started filing in they all sat down at other tables, most of them sat alone or with their district partner, although some of them talked with people from other districts, considering an alliance in the Games.

The tributes from Districts 1 and 2 sat down at our table without invitation, and even though both me and Nick were uncomfortable neither of us told them to leave.

The careers talked to each other about which tributes they would kill first when they were in the arena while Nick and I just sat quietly and ate. All around us the other tables were being used, each one having at least one tribute eating quietly at it.

I noticed George sitting at a table in the far corner alone, eating his food slowly with slumped shoulders.
His district partner was sitting with a short boy with brown hair from district 7, and another short boy wearing a beanie (was he even allowed to have that) from district 9.

Without saying another word to the Psychopaths at this table, I stood up with my bowl of stew and plate of bread and walked over to George’s table. “Hey,” I greeted awkwardly, “do you mind if I sit here?”

The boy looked up at me, his bright, round, brown, doe eyes looking up at me confused, “wouldn’t you rather sit somewhere else, like with your district partner and his friends?” the brunette asked, gesturing over to Nick and the careers who were all watching what I was doing intently.
“Not really to be honest,” I said sitting down opposite him.

George stared at me, clearly wondering why I was sitting with him when there were other options that seemed much more beneficial for chances of survival. Getting annoyed from the silence I decided to strike up a conversation with the brunette. “So… George…”

“How do you know my name?” He interrupted curiously.
I gave him a smirk, “I stole a list with everyone's names.” I said as I pulled the folded paper and showed it to him.

The brunette smiled and I handed it to him, making sure that the peacekeeper’s weren’t watching. He opened it and looked over the list of names, pausing when he got to my photo, “thanks… Clay,” his eyes shone as he looked up and smiled at me.
“No problem,” I returned George’s smile as I put a spoonful of the warm stew into my mouth and chewed the chunky meat.

After we finished eating I gave him one more smile as we both went in different directions to continue training. He walked over to examine and try out some weapons while I went with Nick to go practice building a shelter.

As we did this Nick gave me a questioning look, “what’s wrong with you?” I asked upon noticing his expression.
My friend shrugged. “Nothing. Just wondering why you were hanging out with that boy from 3.” Nick stated bluntly as he continued to tie 2 logs together in a half-assed attempt to make a trap. As I reached over to help him I responded, “I don’t know, people from there are smart, maybe he could help us…. and he is kinda cute…”

I mumbled the last part of the sentence under my breath but my best friend heard and immediately looked slightly worried.
“Clay, you cannot fall in love with him, not now!” The ravenette instructed.
“Why not, I was just saying he could be useful.”

“Mhm, and stated that he was cute! We are in the Hunger Games, we can’t think that! Especially not when they aren’t from the same district as us. After they let Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen out and regretted it, what chance would you and a boy from a different district have?”

As my friend started to ramble I looked past him to see George looking over to us, clearly wondering what Nick was talking about. I just rolled my eyes which caused the small boy to giggle before turning back around.

Nick’s eyes narrowed when he saw me do that and looked over his shoulder to see George there, with an exaggerated sigh he mumbled something about me being hopeless.

A few Days later

Today was the last day of training, before having a one-on-one interview with the gamemakers to get a score to see how well we could do a chosen skill like archery or hut-building. I hadn’t made any life saving progress over the past few days which could help me in the arena.

I did practice with tridents and make shelters and climb trees and stuff but all that I could do with practical ease, and had been doing since I learned how to walk.

The only other thing I tried out was an axe. My father had been a builder back home, back when he was alive and before it was just me, my mother, and my sister Drista. I was the oldest and had always liked to sit by my father as he used his great big silver axe to cut down trees for building boats and wharves and docks, since we never got enough wood for building from District 7.

And my father taught me how to use his axe too, I was a natural with it, or so he said. He and my mother always claimed I was born in the wrong District, that I should be in 7 but was stuck here with the fishes.
But the boys here from District 7 didn’t look like they belonged either, both were quite short, one with slightly curly brown hair and grey eyes with a dazed expression, and the other a blond with husky brown eyes and dark freckles.

A lot of today I spent just sharpening my skills, and watching as others began freaking out. Nick began spending an increased amount of time hanging out with the boys from District 1 and 2, but I pitied his attempts to team up with them. Careers from 1 and 2 were ruthless, and would turn against him the moment he wasn’t helpful to them anymore.

At least if I did somehow manage to team up with George there would probably be less of a chance of me getting my throat slit while I slept, and he could find it useful teaming up with me too.
What am I talking about, why the hell would George want to team with me? He’s like those morphlings from District 6, hiders, not hunters. Teaming up with me could ruin his chances of doing that.

Speaking of George, I sighed and looked over to him. He was talking to a training instructor while trying to learn to use a small knife. I watched with an amused expression at his constant attempts, as the instructor gave a supportive smile and tried to teach him, it’s weird how they act so nice but stand by to watch us die days later.

The brunette let out a sigh in defeat as the training instructor left to get him a glass of water. Seeing an opening I walked over to the other tribute and smiled at him, “do you need some help with your weapon there?” I asked in a playful yet solemn way.

George looked at me with his big, round, brown doe eyes, seemingly confused with what I was saying for a moment, before responding, “I’m fine…” he paused for a moment before adding “thanks.”
“You sure?” I’d be happy to help.”
The brunette sighed, “look Clay, you are nice and everything but I don’t want to make friends here when you will kill me the moment we get into that arena.”

He turned around as the training instructor started walking over to us, and before I left I muttered something but made sure he heard it, “I wouldn’t kill you, even if I got offered all the money in Panem.”

George blushed at that, he blushes at a lot of things, but ignored it. Before I left I turned back to him with a smile, and a big wave “good luck for your session with the gamemakers this afternoon George.”

George looked embarrassed as several eyes landed on us but I ignored them and only let out a small chuckle as I went over to where Nick was waiting.
_________________________________________
1487 words.