Part 1, Chapter 19: family interviews.

Sam POV.

I hate to admit it but I was sad to see that relationship torn to shreds… those 2 were cute together but it couldn’t have possibly lasted in the games.

The 2 boys were displayed on monitors beside each other, although barely visible in the dark arena since it was about 7pm. George, the only living boy from 3, had made his way closer to the edge of the arena and had been given a gift from his mentor. In the next screen over Clay, one of the boys from 4 had been pouting but had picked up some stuff and had started searching for George.

Since not much was happening in the arena the camera’s broadcasting live to Panem were mainly following those 2 because of the drama, with occasional shots of the other tributes most of whom were just sitting around in the cool afternoon and gathering food.

People weren’t complaining though, the Capitol loved a good romance story, and if something dramatic happens, (like the death of that other boy from District 3) it makes them even more invested.

I looked over at Antfrost who was keeping track of the storm, it was only a few minutes away from arriving and so I then looked over at Foolish who had finished designing some mutts which I examined and approved of. They were tall, skinny, moss coloured, creatures with blackeyes and wide mouths.

All that I had told him when Foolish asked about the creatures was to make people's brains explode. I meant it figuratively, as in their brains would stop working out of fear and they’d just have their fight or flight instincts, but Foolish made it literal.

These creatures would seek out tributes and when they got close enough they would explode, creating a crater which could kill or severely injure anyone close, and send shock waves through the ground.

I looked around at all the game makers sitting down and watching me, waiting for instructions. So I gave them all a look before speaking up. “As a lot of you know there is meant to be a storm at the edge of the country where the arena is."

“This could cause a lot of problems for us if the tributes find out, which is why we are sending some mutts in tonight to cause a distraction. You may have noticed that outside the arena a lot of peacekeepers are patrolling in case tributes manage to get out during the confusion, but you guys will all be here monitoring it.”

Everyone nodded at my explanation and I turned to look at Foolish. “The interviews should finish in about an hour and then we will release the mutts, got it?”
He nodded and went back to add some final touches to them.

Wilbur POV.

It had been terrible to think about what was happening to George when he was in the Capitol, but it was worse when he was in the Games itself. Watching him get attacked by the careers and then left for dead I had been worried, even more so when he was found by that strong looking boy from District 4.

When I saw the boy kill Darryl, the other boy from here I spent all the money that I had to get him a gift and warn him… but it was too late.

The Capitol had recently called me to come to the Hall of Justice, which was in the middle of town square, to interview me. During the games when they got down to the final 10 tributes their friends and families would be interviewed so that the Capitol audience could learn more about them.

The square was quiet. Being in the technology District meant people mainly hung out at home since we all had a tv built into our standard houses, which made me feel a little better. For the past week and a half since the reaping anywhere I went all I got was pity, since I now have no parents and my brother was in the games.

I mean it’s not like I didn’t want pity but all they did was give me a break off work meaning I’d have to hang around at home watching George in the games… big help.
Usually whenever someone was interviewed there would be at least a dozen people to stand around talking about them. Parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, coworkers, and teachers, but not for George.