Part 2, Chapter 48: reunited

This is the final chapter. If you guys want to read something else that I have written I recommend my newest story Vampire Hunters, which is mainly Karlnapity but features DNF (and possibly Skephalo in the future) too.
_________________________________________
George POV.

When I woke up my arms and legs and face felt sore and my arms and legs tensed up unintentionally. I kept my eyes screwed tightly shut as I tried to remember what was happening and where I was. I was staying with Beetee and some peacekeepers turned up. They took me and beat me and I passed out… does that mean…

Was I on a peacekeeper train? Heading to the Capitol to be killed? I had to screw my eyes up tighter and bite my lips to stop myself from crying. What about my brother? What about Beetee? What about Niki? None of these people need to be punished for protecting me. Are they here?

I heard a door open from somewhere nearby and began shaking. Was someone here to take me somewhere? Or to kill me? I heard footsteps approaching and smelt something nice in the air as well.

Someone came over to me, and I was scared whoever was there was going to hurt me. But they just noted my expression and started shushing me gently. Familiar gentle hands started brushing through my hair, and my eyes opened to see a familiar person staring down at me.

“Clay?” I asked cautiously. The blond nodded and knelt down beside me, and I began to look around. “Where… where are we? Did the Capitol catch us? Did- did…” I began hyperventilating.
He cut me off with a tight hug, shushing me once again.

“It’s okay George. We aren’t in the Capitol. You’re safe now.” He held me safely as he moved to sit next to me and I rested my head against his chest.
“Where are we going then?” I asked, as he wrapped his arms around me protectively.
“We are going away.” Was his response. “Somewhere far away and safe.”

We stayed here for another few moments before Clay moved away from me. I whined, wanting to be back in his arms again. He returned with some food, and handed it to me. There was some toast, eggs and bacon, breakfast food. How long have I been asleep?

I glanced up at him and he smiled. “I figured you could use something to eat. You’ve been sleeping for almost 15 hours.”
“Thank you.” I muttered, and began eating the food. Clay sat beside me as I did.

As I ate I felt Clay’s eyes on me. When I cleared my plate he moved it away and I leaned onto his side and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “I missed this.” I mumbled as my head made its way to the crook of his neck.

“I missed this too George.” the blond replied, gently kissing my forehead before resting his cheek on the top of my head.
For a while we just sat in silence, feeling glad to be reunited after almost a month of being apart, even though we hadn’t last seen each other on the best of terms.

We cuddled for a few minutes with my brain thinking about everything that happened. Last time I checked I was certain that Clay and all of the other tributes were still in the Capitol. How did they get out? When did they get out? I’m assuming it’s all of them because I know Clay wouldn’t have left them all.

“What happened?” I asked him. He gave a questioning hum and so I repeated it. “What happened at the Capitol? How did you get here?”
The blond sat back up and smiled cockily. “Well a pair of people in the Capitol had our backs. And they really want to meet you again.”

“Again?” I looked up at him questioningly. “What do you mean again?”
Clay gave a small genuine smile. “Well you can go see them now if you think that you can walk. If you can’t then I can bring them here.”

“What do you mean I can’t walk?” I asked, feeling confused.
“Seriously Georgie?” Clay seemed surprised and for a moment I worried he might have done something to me while I was asleep.

The blond noted my worry and hugged me reassuringly. “I didn’t do anything like that Georgie. You were hurt badly by some peacekeepers last night and we gave you a lot of painkillers when we were back on the train. Your legs might still be weak after getting all of your injuries.”

“Oh.” I breathed out. Clay stood up, knowing that I would probably try to stand as well. Weakly I managed to get on my legs which felt like jelly beneath me.
I almost fell forward and so the blond grabbed me before I hit the ground. “Maybe I’ll get them to come in here and talk to you instead.”

Once Clay helped me back onto the bed he ran out of the room. I took the chance I had to look around. I was in a bedroom with 5 bunk beds, but 2 of them had been pushed together to make a larger bed. Most of the beds looked like someone had been sleeping in them recently so that would confirm what I thought that he wasn’t here alone.

Most of the beds also had some clothes either folded neatly beside them or scrunched up into a pile. The piles of clothes also included some peacekeeper uniforms which put me more on edge. Maybe Clay was working with the peacekeepers, he might have made a deal with them to protect his family or something.

I was close to crying from all these ‘what if’ thoughts. I didn’t even notice Clay coming back into the room until he ran over to me and pulled me into his arms again. “Georgie… What's wrong? Why are you crying?” he asked, and Wilbur walked in and hugged me from the other side of the bed.

Wait… Wilbur? I wiped the tears out of my eyes and looked over to him then back at Clay. Another 2 people were walking over from the sound of it and I turned my attention to them and my face fell.

“Mum?” I curiously asked, “Dad?” The pair were standing there silently and I looked at my brother and Clay, wondering if I was staring at a ghost perhaps, but they were looking at them too.

“I thought you were dead.” I jumped out of the grasp of my brother and my… whatever Clay is to me, and jumped into their arms. “I thought you were dead.” I repeated.
Both of them were crying silent tears, and I wondered why they weren’t speaking. Wilbur walked up behind me and joined us in our group hug.

“They are avoxes,” he muttered quietly for me to hear and my heart immediately broke at the thought of them being taken to the Capitol and having their tongues removed to be used as slaves.

“Mum. Dad. I am so sorry.” I said crying into my mothers shoulder. She gently grabbed my chin and tilted it up to look at her.
She mouthed something which I understood, ‘it’s okay George’. Then she gave me a kiss on my forehead which made my eyes water.

‘You grew up to be better than I could imagine’. She mouthed before hugging me again.
I smiled at her when we let go of each other and looked over to my father who was also crying silently. He made some motions with his hands that I couldn’t understand but Clay came up behind me and began watching from over my shoulder.

“He says that you guys can be a family again.” the blond translated, and I looked over at him again.
“Can you understand sign language?” I asked him, and Clay nodded.
“They’ve been teaching me while we were going around the Districts, finding everyone's family.”

“Everyone’s family?” I asked.
“We got all of the surviving tributes out, and then their families.” Clay explained as he pulled me into another hug which made me blush. “You were the final person and now we are heading to freedom. We’ll all be safe after that. I promise.”

He kissed me gently on the head and I felt safe, leaning into his touch. He’s right. We will be safe… together.
_________________________________________
1410 words.

And that is the final of Hunger Games. Being honest, not my best work but either way I hope you all enjoyed.