Part 2, Chapter 34: back home

Thank you guys for 26k followers.

I don't know why I thank people on here since not many of you have read this book.
_________________________________________
George POV.

Sleeping in a wooden box on a moving train is never easy, and I felt like I had just fallen asleep when I was shaken awake. I let out an annoyed and tired groan as I looked up and saw Callahan there. He gave me a small smile and handed me a roll of bread to eat and a bottle of water.

"What district are we in?" I asked him. I had tried to keep track of time but it was hard to do so in a box where you couldn't see anything.
Callahan held up 2 fingers, indicating the second District, and I gave a nod.

"How long until we are in District 3?" I continued to ask, and he shrugged before holding up 2 fingers again. Two hours. Two hours until I was home.
"Thank you Callahan," I said with a small smile and he gave a nod.

He placed the lid on the box back down quietly and then I heard him walking out of the room. I got comfortable in the box again, pulling the blanket the Callahan snuck me earlier over my head and curling into a ball. Maybe I can actually get some sleep before I get back to my district.

2 hours later

Once again I got woken up by being shaken, my eyes fluttered open to see Callahan once again in front of me with Ponk again. I opened my mouth to ask if we were in District 3 but they both motioned for me to be quiet.

I did as they said and they put the lid back down before lifting me up in the box. I tried to steady myself so that I wouldn't fall around as they carried me. They climbed out of the train and began walking down the streets of the District, trying not to shake the box too much.

My eyes scanned the street from through the air holes left on the side of the box. I had never thought the District was perfect, with the tightly packed buildings all made out of ugly grey and silver materials. Each building had one or two families living in the small houses, or shops.

Now however it felt welcoming. I remembered every building, and felt so happy to be back after what felt like years being away. What had once been seen as a prison now felt like my safe sanctuary.

People were out on the street getting their lunches between the morning and the afternoon. I recognised heaps of them, old classmates, neighbours, old teachers. Zak was walking a dog around, which seemed to be Darryl's old dog. I wanted to go over to him but couldn't while I was in the box.

My breath hitched when I saw the house that me and Wilbur shared with Niki. Maybe they were there now. I adjusted the way I was sitting so I could see it better.
"George why are you moving around?" Ponk asked, "it's hard enough to carry you as it is."

"Sorry. But can we go to that house over there?" I asked, and both of the men looked in that direction curiously.
Callahan signed something out with one hand, still supporting the box with the other. Ponk watched him intently before speaking. "Callahan wants to know why," he explained. "So do I."

"That's my home." I said quietly, and I felt the pair of them exchanging a glance.
"If what Techno said to us was true, then it won't be safe for you to be here. Beetee's house will be safer, in Victor's village." Ponk explained. "But I could write a message to give to your brother after you're safe... okay?"

He didn't wait for me to respond as he and Callahan walked through town square before heading up the road to Victor's village. After another few minutes of a silent walk, they reached Beetee's doorstep and knocked on the door.

A few moments passed before it opened, and I recognised the familiar voice of my mentor. "Hello... What can I help you both with?" he asked them cautiously.
"We have a delivery from District 4, and Techno." Ponk explained, refusing to say any more while he was at risk of being overheard.

Beetee seemed to suspect something but didn't say anything and beckoned for the pair to come inside. They walked in and carefully sat the box down in the middle of the room. The victor eyed it cautiously, "What's in it?" he cautiously asked.

One of the pair moved over to the box and opened the lid, allowing light to fill the space. I looked up to see Beetee, Callahan, and Ponk all looking back at me, with an unreadable look on Beetee's face. "Hi..." I muttered, meeting his eyes as Callahan helped me up.

He still looked shocked long after Ponk and Callahan left to get on the train before it departed. "H-how are you alive?" he asked, looking me up and down. "I thought for sure that the Capitol would have killed you by now."

I gave a small smile. "I ran." I explained. "I ran, and I ran, and I ran, until I found District 4. Clay's family was there. They took me to Techno and he got me onto the train."
Beetee watched me curiously, seemingly not understanding what I was saying, which felt strange seeing as he was the smartest person in Panem.

For a few minutes I recounted everything that happened in the arena. From finding out Clay killed Darryl, to the mutt attack, and then to me getting out of the arena. I told him about how I managed to fish, and had to hide from mutts as I walked aimlessly in the forest looking for anything that could help.

He listened intently as I told him about finding the boat repair shop the Clay's family owned, and how his mother treated my wounds. Then about how Puffy and Clay's sister Drista snuck me to Techno's and how he, Ponk, and Callahan smuggled me on a train.

After that I let out a yawn and Beetee looked even more concerned. "When was the last time you slept properly?" he asked.
I thought back, trying to remember the answer to his question. I hadn't slept properly on the train or while at Clay's house.

So I thought back further than that, but while I was in the arena and after I escaped it I hadn't slept properly because I'd been worried the Capitol or another tribute would find me. And while I was in the Capitol it wasn't any easier, constantly thinking about how soon I would be dead...

"The night on the train. After the reaping." I stated.
My mentor's expression fell. "You should probably go and sleep." He stated blandly but I shook my head.

"I need to see Wilbur. I can't sleep now he'd be so worried," I stated, giving Beetee a concerned look even though I knew he wouldn't let me argue with him.
"George, you need rest." Beetee said. "I'll tell Wilbur you are here and he can come but you can't see him now or both of you could get hurt."

My eyes narrowed and I wanted to argue with him, but he was right. It was difficult to even think straight without my brain hurting, so he directed me to the nearest bedroom and I collapsed on the bed happily.

I was still in the clothes Clay's mother had given me and it kept me thinking about the blond. I hoped that he was alright, and as I curled up under the blankets I wrapped my arms tightly around myself and pretended the blond was holding me.

But I still do hate him for hurting my friend.
_________________________________________
1301 words.

My dumb ass has been procrastinating writing chapters. Still have though.