Part 1, Chapter 9: the interview

George POV.

Eret stood watching me as I admired my appearance in the mirror, the suit he had given me to wear fitting perfectly against my skinny figure. My eyes moved past my appearance to meet his, “how does it look?” I asked him, although I already knew what he was going to say.

“You look great George, I am sure a lot of Capitol citizens would think that too. It could help you get sponsors in the game.”

I turned back to look at my own appearance, my bright brown eyes meeting my reflections before drifting down to look at my outfit. It looked stupid but knowing Capitol fashion I figured they’d like it.

I was wearing black dress pants and a slightly lighter dress shirt which made me feel stiff. Overtop was a dark blue sleeveless coat decorated with purple swirls which were only noticeable if you looked closely. My hair was also slick with gel which Eret insisted I used.

“Are you ready to go?” my designer asked, “your interview with Caesar Flickerman is meant to be in about 5 minutes… give or take.” He glanced at the watch on his wrist as he continued talking.
I gave a shrug but followed him as he walked out of the room. The two of us made our way down the halls and onto the backstage of the theatre where Caesar was currently interviewing Darryl.

Philza was already standing and waiting for us as he watched a small TV showing the stage. Caesar was sitting on a seat on the left side of the stage, Darryl was sitting opposite him on the right side of the stage, looking uncomfortable to be there. Behind the pair was a large screen showing a list of tributes with Darryl’s face at the front along with District 3’s crest.

Philza, Eret and I didn’t say anything to us as we all watched Darryl’s interview which was almost done.
“Darryl, so what do you think you’ll do in the games?” Caesar asked my district partner.
“I’ll probably hide out, being honest,” Darryl replied sheepishly. “I could probably find some edible food or maybe even get some from the cornucopia at the beginning of the game.” He explained.

“Well everyone here in the Capitol hopes that you do well.” Caesar said with a warm smile.
Then Caesar excused him, turning to the audience and spoke briefly to them as Eret beckoned me over to the stairs on our right which lead to the stage. I walked there and passed Darryl at the bottom of the stairs. He whispered good luck to me.

“And now we have the other tribute from District 3, 16 year old George Davidson!”
The crowd erupted in cheers as Caesar called my name and I walked on the stage, giving the audience a brief wave and smile as Caesar held out his hand to shake mine. I shook his hand then sat down opposite him in the chair on the right.

“So George, how do you like the Capitol so far?” Caesar asked once I got comfortable.
The Capitol is full of the worst people I have ever met, I mean they stand aside and let kids kill each other for fun.
I didn’t say that, obviously. Instead I gave him a smile and simply said, “It’s very different to what District 3 is like,” not wanting to say any more about it.

“Different how?” The man opposite me asked.
“Well… it’s busy, a different kind of busy to how District 3 is. I don’t really know how to explain it. But it is quite beautiful here too, with all the nature integrated with the buildings and stuff…” I trailed off, avoiding Caesar’s and the audience’s eyes.

The host just nodded and continued, “do you think that you could win the Hunger Games after seeing who you’re up against?”
I looked out to the audience and gave a smile, “I hope that I could win, but my competitors do seem like they could all do well too. Honestly it could be anyone’s game.”

Caesar nodded as he asked another question, “what will you do in the games? Will you hunt for other tributes or just try to hide and survive?”
“Probably survive to be honest,” I replied sheepishly, “but it really depends on what the arena looks like.”

More questions followed and I answered them and often got a round of applause from the excited audience members. After what felt like forever Caesar stood up and shook my hand again, signalling our interview was over. I stood up and thanked him before turning and leaving to the sound of applause.

As I stepped off of the stage Clay was standing there waiting to climb up the stairs and head to the stage. “I like your outfit George, it suits you,” the blond commented which made my face flush slightly red.
“Thanks,” I replied, “you look nice too.”

And he honestly did, he was wearing an ivy green suit with golden buttons with a white shirt underneath. He wore black leather shoes on his feet and a golden tie. It looked more like he was going to a business meeting than an interview the night before being led off to certain death.

Clay let out a chuckle, “I don’t think it’s that nice, my designer is a fuck-wit.”
That caused me to give a small giggle and our eyes met for a few moments before we heard Caesar from on the stage. “Now ladies and gentlemen, we have the highest scoring tribute in 6 years. From District 4, Clay Smith!”

I wished him good luck as he stepped around me and onto the stage, then I watched him until he was standing and shaking Flickerman’s hand.
As I walked back over to where Darryl, Beetee, Philza and Eret were standing as well Portia. Our District advisor smiled at us, “you both look good, and did well in your interviews.” He said to both of us.
The 4 of them started a conversation about preparing for the games tomorrow, but I turned my attention to the TV beside where our group was huddled.

Clay was sitting on the stage opposite Caesar, the two both were talking about how Clay got his score. “So can you tell us what you did to get a score that high?” Flickerman asked the blond.
“Just…” Clay glanced at the audience and flashed a cocky smile, “showed off my skill with a weapon.”
A cheer arose from the audience at that which caused him to look back at Caesar and chuckle at him.

The two continued to talk about the games before the blond was eventually excused by Caesar. I noticed the cheers from the crowds were a lot louder than the ones that I, and all of the other contestants, had gotten.
He walked off and was replaced shortly after by the other guy from his District whose name was apparently Nick.

Our group stood around the TV for the rest of the night, watching the other tribute’s interviews. I stood at the edge of the group and by the time we got to District 7 Eret, Portia, Darryl and Beetee had all left, leaving just me and Philza watching the screen.
My eyes stayed focused on the screen but I felt like someone was watching me. When the interviews finally finished with District 11, and Caesar said goodnight to the audience and he gave a little speech about the games tomorrow.

I finally looked away to see Clay watching the screen from beside me, when he felt my eyes on him, he lowered his gaze so that his eyes were meeting mine.
“So George, how did I do during the interview?” He asked with a smirk.
“You did… good, I think you’ll get a lot of sponsors during the games, that’ll be really useful, you’ll probably win.”
“I think you also could have a good chance of winning too,” the blond smiled at me, “you are smarter than a lot of the other tributes. Maybe you could trap everyone.” He suggested.

As he said that I gave him a nod then saw him about to speak again when I felt Philza’s hand on my shoulder. I looked at Philza as he spoke, “sorry to interrupt you two but you both probably need to go and sleep, you will need to be ready early tomorrow so you both need all the sleep you can get.”
Both Clay and I looked at the man and I gave him a nod then followed him over to the elevator as Clay stayed where he was.

We climbed into the elevator and I looked over at Clay and gave him a wave as the doors shut which the blond returned. When the doors opened to our floor all Philza and I walked out to see everyone else in their rooms. I knew none of us probably would be sleeping as I headed to my room and had a shower as I changed out of my clothes.

15 minutes later I fell onto the comfortable covers of my bed and tried to go to sleep which I didn’t successfully do. Instead, I laid awake in bed until the sun started rising over the tall buildings of the Capitol for the morning, and then I heard a knock on the door.
_________________________________________
1570 words.