Part 2, Chapter 45: the search

Wilbur POV.

“Wilbur S. Davidson, and Niki Nihachu, you both are under arrest for harboring a criminal from the Capitol.” the head peacekeeper stated as a pair of other peacekeepers grabbed us.
“What are you talking about?” I asked, furrowing my brows. “What fucking criminal?”

The head peacekeeper walked over to me, his face inches away from mine. “Your brother, George Davidson. We know he is back here and that you have been visiting him recently, Wilbur. How is he by the way? Did he enjoy his trip?” He asked tauntingly.

“I-I don’t understand,” Niki said in a confused voice. “I thought that all of the tributes were taken back to the Capitol. That’s what we were told at least. Wouldn’t George be there?”
“You’d think that wouldn’t you?” The peacekeeper stated with a smirk, moving over to look her in the eyes.

“Yet he came back here.” He continued, looking fearlessly into the blond's glare. “You’d think that if he came from the smartest District he wouldn’t be as much of a dumbass.”
“Don’t you dare call my brother a dumbass, you asshole.” I growled, trying to rip myself from the grasp of the peacekeeper holding me.

Once again the head peacekeeper came over to me and stared at me with his smirk. Then after a moment he pulled back his fist and punched me in the face. Immediately my head flicked away from him as I felt my cheek stinging from where his fist connected with it. Later it would probably swell up into a bright purple bruise.

“I’d love to stay here and talk shit about your little brother all evening but why don’t we pay him a visit instead?” The peacekeeper asked before spinning on his heel and walking out of the front door, causing the peacekeepers to lead us out after him.

“Are you taking us to the Capitol?” I questioned, and the peacekeeper shook his head before beginning to lead us towards Victor's village.
“Not tonight sorry, but you might be going there very soon. For now we are heading to your friend Beetee’s house.”

The peacekeepers surrounded us from all sides while the head peacekeeper walked in the front parading us towards the village. Niki and I sent each other a worried glance as we headed through the gates of the village and over to Beetee’s house.

We were held still while the head peacekeeper knocked on the door impatiently, a few moments passed and the door opened. A confused looking victor was there in his wheelchair. He looked up at us and adjusted his glasses before speaking. “Can I help you?” he asked, looking at the head peacekeeper in front of him and ignoring everyone else.

“Hi, we are looking for someone who might be here.” the peacekeeper stated.
Beetee’s face remained expressionless, “I live alone. Who would you be looking for here?”
“Someone who you might know, by the name of George Davidson. Can we come in?”

Clearly he didn’t get the opportunity to say no, since the peacekeeper pushed past him before he could answer. 6 of the 8 peacekeepers ran past Beetee into the lounge as they followed their boss. The last 2 held us and forced us inside the building.

George POV.

The group forced their way into the house, I heard it happening. I didn’t know what they were saying, but it clearly wasn’t nice. There was also a lot of shouting downstairs. Some of the voices were unfamiliar, but others weren’t. I recognised Beetee, Wilbur, and Niki.

I didn’t need to be able to understand them to understand what was going on. The peacekeepers had figured out I was here and were coming to get me. Then it would be game over. I’d be taken to the Capitol and tortured and killed there or they might make me an avox. Or I might be killed here instead, in front of the people I’ve known all my life.

They seemed to be forcing all the doors open, throwing stuff around, and ripping stuff apart downstairs. All the while as loud voices shouted at each other. It was only a matter of time before they came upstairs to look for me here.

Although Beetee had told me to hide in the bedroom I instead hid in a closet in the hallway on the top floor. Inside were shelves of folded blankets and sheets and stuff, and I managed to curl up under the lowest shelf, right against the floor. A blanket was blocking me from the view of the hallway and I just hoped they decided not to check behind it.

My breathing was incredibly shaky and I felt like the entire District could hear me panicking, but it seems that nobody did since nobody came to drag me out of my hiding spot and arrest me. I let out a sigh of relief at that and just buried my head in between the folds of the blanket.

Wilbur POV.

There was a lot of noise from inside the house. Beetee was yelling at the peacekeepers as they tore apart his house trying to find George. “He’s not here, I keep telling you.” Beetee stated.
“Where would he even be hiding?”

“That is what we are trying to find out.” The peacekeeper stated, before spinning on his heel to look the victor in his eyes. “You know if you help us find him your punishment will be less severe.”

“I already told you that he’s not here.” Beetee said through gritted teeth. “You’ve already searched every inch of this floor, probability states that he won’t be here if you look upstairs either.”
“We’ll just have to wait and see.” The peacekeeper stated.

He turned to look at some of the peacekeepers and sent them upstairs. We heard furniture being overturned and some shouts, and along with that I saw Beetee getting noticeably more tense.

The shouts got more excited and we grew more worried. A few moments passed and the peacekeepers reappeared downstairs dragging a brunette with them who was struggling in their grip.

From beside us the head peacekeepers smirk grew wider. “It looks like your probability was wrong Beetee.” He smiled tauntingly as he walked over to my brother. “How are you feeling George?” he asked. “A lot of people from the Capitol are missing you.”

George looked up at him weakly with a worried expression on his face, but that wasn’t all. A lot of marks were visible on his face, arms, and legs, and I’m assuming they came from the peacekeeper. When George didn’t respond the head peacekeeper sighed. “It would be nice to stay and chat with you all but there is a train waiting that will be taking you to the Capitol.”
_________________________________________
1131 words.