Part 1, Chapter 11: the bloodbath

Decided to show you guys the family tree I made in school.

Look at all my relatives.
_________________________________________
Clay POV.

The timer went down from 50 seconds in what felt like 1. Suddenly everyone ran in different directions and I started sprinting towards the Cornucopia to grab some weapons. Both tributes from Districts 1 and 2 were already there and let me join them since they were convinced that I had aligned myself with them like Nick had.

I grabbed a trident and an axe and slung them both over my shoulder along with a bow, some arrows and a bag which I overstuffed with food. The other tributes including Nick began killing other tributes who had tried running into the Cornucopia for a weapon but I refused to help them. Without them noticing me I ran out of the Cornucopia and into the treeline.

Several hours passed and it eventually got dark as I weaved between the trees and downhill to the river. I’d pass the occasional tribute but none of them came near me when they saw all the weapons I was carrying with me.

Eventually I made my way down to the river bank, walking tenderly over the loose rocks until I was wading in the cold water and across to the riverbank opposite me.

I reached the other side and used some matches that were in the bag I found to start a fire on some low hanging spruce branches I pulled from trees. As the fire grew I waded back into the water and used my trident to kill some fish. Once I returned to the fire I cooked the fish as I looked up at the list of fallen tributes.

George POV.

I kept walking away from the Cornucopia until I was near the edge of the arena, then I felt safe enough to sit down. The bag that had been clutched tightly in my hand fell to the ground and I opened it from where I was resting against a tree trunk. Inside the bag were several foods including apples, bread and a bottle of water, as well as some rope and a torch, all of which could be useful.

Once I looked over the contents of the bag I put everything back inside besides the apple before I stood back up. As I ate the apple I continued walking along the edge of the arena downhill until I came across a small clearing. I sat back down and threw my apple core onto the ground just as the sun went down.

Suddenly I heard the music playing and the capitol crest appeared in the sky. I looked up at what was now playing as the list of fallen tributes appeared. First it was two boys from District 5, followed by two from District 8, one from District 9 and finally one from District 11. It was a small amount of tributes to die on day one and I felt really thankful that Darryl was still alive.

The hologram cut out leaving the arena in the dark and I used the faint evening light to climb a tree with my bag, then got comfortable and tried to roll over and go to sleep.

Clay POV.

The hologram disappeared and the only light nearby was from my fire. I won’t deny that I was grateful that George wasn’t one of the fallen tribute, and Nick too. I continued to eat the fish that I had caught and cooked before laying down against one of the tree trunks.

There had been a blanket in my bag which I wrapped around my body after I put out the fire, extinguishing all light from the area.

Nick POV.

Miles, Jayden, Fletch and Mike, the four career tributes, and myself were all gathered around a fire we started near the Cornucopia. We were responsible for 4 of the 6 deaths that had happened today. The other 2 happened by another tribute from District… 11 I think.

Clay had run off after he grabbed some stuff and I was thankful that he was still alive. Why he had run off it was beyond me, it would have been safer for him to stay in a group with me and the other careers.

Although, maybe it would have been a good idea seeing as all four of these guys were ruthless killers. Fletch, one of the boys from District 2 had stabbed the 13 year old boy from District 5 in the eyes and then left him to bleed out and die.

We were eating some of the food we’d gotten from the Cornucopia, all of the food we’d put into different bags and had hidden those bags just along the treelines. We were thinking that if anyone returned to the Cornucopia for food when we weren’t here they’d come and look for food but find nothing.

The other career tributes were all talking and joking with each other about how they killed those 4 kids which was really disturbing and I thought that I should have probably left with Clay, at least he wouldn’t kill me.

Maybe I should leave tonight while all the career’s are asleep, I thought. Then I looked up at the career tributes who were all starting to seem tired. “Maybe you all should go to sleep, I could keep watch for any tributes.”
The other 4 all looked over to me but nodded before grabbing some sleeping bags and all climbing into them.

I watched as they all laid down and closed their eyes before beginning to fall asleep, although I saw Fletch keep watching me cautiously, I guess he didn’t trust me at all. However, I managed to ignore the looks he gave me as I grabbed a torch and used it to scan the treeline, looking for other tributes that may be lurking nearby.

As the other careers fell asleep I considered what to do, maybe I could get some weapons and kill them while they slept, or I could just grab some weapons and food and leave.

Darryl POV.

Karl, Alex and I huddled together for warmth, all of us knew that lighting a fire would draw unwanted attention from other tributes. Karl was a 15 year old from District 7 and Alex was a 15 year old from District 9.

The three of us ran into each other shortly after leaving the Cornucopia. Then we agreed to stick with each other, at least for the first couple days while there were still heaps of other tributes running around the arena.

We’d all wandered down another hill which was covered in large rocks and boulders all the way down until it met with the river. About half way down was a small hole in the side of the hill which was hidden between two large rocks. Alex, Karl and I all had skinny bodies and ducked in between them and into a small cave.

It was cold and dark in the cave and the only one with any supplies was Alex, although it was mainly just a blanket and food that was useful to us. So the three of us huddled together under the blanket and ate some bread, huddling close to each other for warmth.

The only time we left the cave for the rest of the day was to see the list of fallen tributes. George was still alive, thankfully, and so was the other boy from Karl’s district. However, the 16 year old boy from Alex’s district had been killed, most likely in the bloodbath by one of the career tributes.

Karl and I spent the night comforting him until we all fell asleep.
_________________________________________
1286 words.