Nicknames

"Hey, Cody, Commander Tooka was very verbal," Waxer stated, sitting down in front of both commanding officers in the mess hall.

"Is that so?" Cody sighed, placing his spoon back into the oatmeal.

"Do you remember what Commander Tooka was saying?" Tree asked, sitting down next to them as the whole hall went silent to listen in.

"I vaguely remember Commander Tooka chanting die at the vet," Cody stated, the troopers around him laughing, "oh, and they gave people nicknames."

"Oh?" Waxer asked, leaning forwards, "did I get one?"

"Yes, Stripe," Cody stated, "probably after the markings on your helmet."

"Did Boil get one?" Waxer asked.

"Arrow, also likely because of the marking on his helmet," Cody shrugged.

"Wait, did Wrap get one?" Waxer suddenly asked with a grin.

"Yes, Aaray, it means pain," Cody stated, biting back his smile.

The troopers were almost cackling until a lone cough announced the presence of the vod in question. The room went silent.

"Wait, did you name the vet?" Tree asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"Yes, Di'kut, as we all know, it means idiot," Cody stated with a smirk.

"Anyone else got names?"

"Hardcase was Haran, means hell, as the first thing that he did was effectively squeeze my fractured rib," Cody stated, "Stab was Chekar, means stab with a short blade. Rex was Kit, and Wooley was Verd'ika which means little soldier. Tup was Trikar'la, which means sad. Fox was Gedin'la, which means cranky. Wolfie was Striil. Ponds was Pel, which means soft. The shinies were Cin, which means white."

"Did General Tooka get a name?" Book asked.

"Cin'ciri, which means snow," Cody shrugged, "I presume after the colour of General Tooka's fur."

Everyone suddenly turned to look at the General as the man suddenly started to choke.

"You alright, General?" Cody asked.

Once he'd calmed and got his breath back, Obi-Wan answered, "perfectly fine, just seems like General Tooka had very similar ideas with naming."

"Oh?"

"General Tooka named Commander Tooka, Cin'ciri'ika, which means little snow."

The mess hall was in an uproar.

"Doesn't General Tooka call Rex Blue Man?" Cody asked, trying successfully to calm down the hall.

"Yes, he does, and he has a few other names for people as well," Obi-Wan nodded. 

"You spent a lot of time around the shinies. Did they get a name?" Tree asked.

"They were named Shiny," Obi-Wan stated.

"Unoriginal," Waxer frowned.

"Well, naming people just wasn't really what General Tooka seemed to do, really the only others were Dashes for you and Shape for Boil," Obi-Wan shrugged.

"All those are based on appearances," Boil stated.

"I believe General Tooka thought playing was more important than thinking up names," Obi-Wan explained, "Commander Tooka was not as active because of their ribs, hence more time to think."

There was a murmur of "makes sense" that went around the room.

-----

"We're not going to explain the other use of 'ika, right?" Cody asked once he was finally able to get away from everyone else.

"We are not going to say," Obi-Wan nodded.

514