Rex learns of 'ika, and breaks a secret

Rex sighed, placing down his datapad as Boil and Waxer practically fell into his office. "Anything I can help you with?" Rex's eyes went wide as the two quickly started to spill about how people were giving nicknames. "Wait, Wooley was called Verd'ika?"

"Yes?"

"Verd'ika is a rank, the rank of Private," Rex stated before holding his hand up to stop the two from talking, "however, it can be used affectionately, for instance, to a child, to mean little soldier."

"Cody said that it meant little soldier," Boil stated, "he didn't suggest that it meant anything high."

"Cody has an adoption streak a mile wide; he probably thought you already realised with his actions that Wooley was the most recent one he adopted," Rex shrugged.

"How do you know?"

"Remember, I was his first victim."

"Oh."

"And you said they named each other Cin'ciri, but General Tooka added 'ika?" Rex asked.

"Yeah, said it meant little snow," Waxer shrugged.

"Ika is a diminutive suffix that can be used to when speaking to someone very familiar, such as a childhood friend, and it also means little as they explained," Rex explained, "Cody often calls me Rex'ika. This is not only because I am younger, but because we are close from our time as cadets."

"So, what does this have to do with General Tooka and Commander Tooka?"

"Ika is a form that is mostly used as a form of familiarity, whether with friends, family or something in between," Rex stated, stressing out his words.

"So?" Waxer asked.

Boil sighed, "the fact that General Tooka used 'ika suggest that they might like Commander Tooka - is that what you are suggesting?"

Rex nearly sighed in relief. "Yes," he nodded, "probably quite high a chance with the actions that were explained to have happened."

Waxer grinned before dragging Boil out of the room.

Rex grinned, turning on his comm, "Wolfie, Ponds, osikhead," he started.

"Kriff off, Rex," Fox grunted, "some of us have work to do."

"You will never believe what I just heard–"

340