2. Royal Family

Zak POV

The morning birds chirp on my balcony and the sun shines through as my eyes begin to crack open. I sit up and stretch out my arms. I get out of my covers and change into more fitting attire to be seen. Today my family has planned to go out into a town we haven't visited in a while, Badlands. My shoes slip on and I leave my room. 

My sister's door is still shut so I go over and knock. She asks, "Who is it?" 

I reply, "Zak." She opens the door and I go in. 

She asks, "What do you want?" 

I look at her dress and say, "This is what you're wearing for the outing?" It's probably the most heinous dress I've seen Samira wear in our entire lives. 

She spins around, "You don't like it?" 

I shake my head, "It looks as if you mauled a bear and wrapped it around yourself to call it attire." 

She huffs, "You have no taste! My dress is beautiful and I will be wearing it out today." 

I scoff, "Whatever. Be sure to be ready because I believe we are to leave after breakfast." 

She nods, "Yes I understand." 

I leave her room and go down our stairwell to our kitchen. I said good morning to the staff and went to our library. My mother and father are seated while reading books of their own. 

I say, "Good morning father, good morning mother." 

My mother replies, "Good morning Zak. Are you ready to leave soon?" 

I nod, "Yes. And Samira is preparing." 

My father says, "After breakfast, we will leave and hopefully be there no more than an hour." 

Geo, our butler/serviceman, clears his throat, "Breakfast is prepared." 

We go to the dining table where a feast of pastries, eggs, and fine meats are all intricately awaiting my family. My dad sits at the head of the table, my mom on one side, my sister and I on the other. Geo and Dave, a guard, stand watch in case anything may happen. 

My father says, "Perhaps we will find good suitors for Zak and Samira today." 

My mother scoffs, "Not in Badlands. They don't have much there, all the basics." 

My father shrugs and stuffs a slice of pig down his throat. He says, "They aren't all that terrible. When Noah Saint was still alive, he carried the Badlands on his back working for everyone and being a kind man. He was my friend. His family are kind people as well. After his passing, apparently his son has been helping to carry that mantle from his father. Good things I've heard of him." 

My mother asks, "Good enough for Samira?" 

My father nods, "Possibly." 

Samira says, "I must see him before anything. I don't want a hideous, displeasing, penniless geezer." 

I shake my head, "Why do we even have to be married? At this time, I don't see anyone worthy to be welcomed into our family." 

My father sighs, "How many times must we tell you Zak? We will find you a beautiful wife, and Samira a hard working husband. That Saint boy really might be a good match. We can see while we're in town today." 

I reply, "What makes him special?" 

My father says, "I knew his father, a very good man, hard working too. It's been a long time since then, but if Darryl is the same as he was when he was a child, then he'd be perfect."