8. Tea

Darryl POV:

The day is bright and cloudy. Today is the day that Clay is to visit home. Every so often knights are allowed to visit their families, I didn't know it was so soon; But maybe Zak had something to do with that. My mother and Lucy prepare a table of his favorite foods such as roasted chicken, an assortment of vegetables, and pudding.

I go to the kitchen and ask, "Is there anything I can do to help prepare?"

My mother replies, "Well, go to the bakery and get a loaf for your brother. You know he likes bread."

I nod, "Anything else needed?"

Lucy shrugs, "Nothing else. Clay will be here in two hours or so, we have plenty of time to prepare everything so it's alright."

I smile, "I'll be back before then." I leave my house and go to the bakery.

When I walk in, Ms. Niki and Ms. Rebecca welcomed me, "Darryl! What are you her for?"

I reply, "Clay is coming home. My mother wanted me to buy a loaf for him."

Ms. Rebecca sighs, "Well they are in the oven right now, but will take some more time."

Ms. Niki says, "You can wait here or come back in an hour, done by then."

I nod, "Alright, perhaps Mr. Blade will appreciate a visit from me."

Ms. Niki says, "There was a merchant earlier today who came around selling tea and we traded some sweets for it. I know Mr. Blade loves tea, consider getting some for him."

I ask, "Where is the merchant now?"

Ms. Rebecca replies, "Last I saw, he was heading to the pub. Hopefully still there."

I smile, "Thank you. I'll be back in an hour. Good day." They wave bye to me as I leave.

I walk to the pub and go inside to hear some laughing. Mr. Schlatt has introduced himself to a stranger, probably the merchant.

I walk to them and Mr. Schlatt says, "Darryl! What're you doing here this early boy? Only the afternoon!"  I hold back a gag from the reeking smell coming from him.

I reply, "Heard there was a merchant selling tea, correct?"

The merchant looks at me and smiles, "Yes, I'm selling an arrangement of sorts."

I reply, "What's the exchange?"

The man looks me up and down, "Let's go out of the building and I'll show you the tea. Got it in my carriage. We can discuss price after you see the products."

I nod my head, "Yes sir."

Mr. Schlatt says, "Boo. This merchant needs a drink!"

The man shakes his head, "I'm alright, thank you. Better sell some tea to this boy."

We go out to the alleyway where there is a small carriage and a horse. I ask, "Is this your full occupancy?"

He nods, "Been for a while. My father is a merchant, always out on the road. Followed in his steps."

I ask, "What tea flavors are available?"

He opens the carriage and pulls out some different pouches. I ask, "What's this one?"

He replies, "Rose petals and buds. Rose tea is something many of maiden's favor."

I ask, "What's this one?"

He replies, "Plain old chamomile."

I ask, "May I have one pouch of rose and one pouch of chamomile?"