6. Blacksmith

Darryl POV:

It's been a few days since my family and I were at the castle. It was an interesting time at their castle. The Ahmed family has layers to them after all, more specifically Prince Zak. It was nice getting to know him better, and Samira too. 

But it's another day of the week, meaning time for me to go to work again. It's one of the children and I's day off from schooling, so I go directly to Alex's home. 

I knock on his door and he opens it with a large smile. He says, "Hi Darryl!" 

I smile back, "Hello Alex. Good mood this morning?" 

He nods, "Look who's in town!" Karl pops from behind him and I give him a hug. 

I ask, "When did you get here?" 

He replies, "Just before you! I've been traveling all night." 

I ask, "How long are you in town for?" 

As a traveling merchant, Karl doesn't stay in one place for long. He comes here to get long needed supplies and to visit his friends, us, of course. But besides that, he's out traveling and trading, selling, and buying what he can. Alex's axes are hot on the market especially. But when he is here, Karl stays with Alex until he must leave again. 

Karl answers me, "I'll probably be gone tomorrow morning after some well needed rest." 

I nod, "Well we must have a feast tonight! It's been a few weeks since you've been home." 

Karl smiles, "That sounds lovely." 

Alex cuts in, "We can eat after all this work is done today." 

I ask, "Is there a large demand?" 

Alex nods, "The royal guard needs new swords and axes. Thankfully you are here to help me Darryl." 

I sigh, "We must get to work, so then we can finish to have a fun night!" 

We all cheer and Karl sighs, "Both of you have a good time. I am going to get some rest." 

Alex and I frown, "Leaving us with all the work." 

Karl nods, "Enjoy!" 

Alex and I get started with the axes first. As we are shaping the tools I ask, "When is the carriage coming to pick up these tools?" 

Alex sighs, "We have to deliver to the royal guard. Apparently they are too busy to do it themselves but I do not buy that shit. But it's alright, we shall go over and maybe get paid a hefty exchange." 

I laugh, "Alright, I'll help you." 

Alex responds, "Of course you will. I can't get all of this by myself to the castle." 

I say, "Oh, straight to the castle?" 

He nods, "Yes, nearly two hour of a trip for us." 

I shrug, "Alright." 

We worked hard for a while, nearly two hours till sunset. We finally finish everything and Alex says, "Let's load these onto my cart and head off." We do so and make our way over to the castle. A horse, Alex, and I only get there so fast. 

The time and effort goes by till we get to the royal guard post near the castle entrance. We're greeted by my own brother and two of the other guards. One of the guards says, "You two. What is your business?" 

Clay asks, "Darryl? What are you doing here?" 

I reply, "Good afternoon fair knights. We are here with the tool delivery. All prepared today." 

Clay grabs an axe and takes a swing at the air. He says, "Nicholas, George, this is a mighty fine axe." They all unload the tools off our cart. 

I look at Clay and he says, "Thank you for your efforts Darryl and Alex. The royal guard thanks you." 

Alex replies, "No need for thanks. And who might we exchange with Clay?" 

Clay says, "This is Sir Nicholas. This is Sir George. And I am Sir Clay. We are referred to as so by people as the two of you." 

I say, "Alright, Sir Clay, who must we get our exchange from?" 

Sir Nicholas hands us a bag, "Thank you." 

We bow to them and say, "Have a good day." 

The gourds go inside with the tools while Alex and I stand still. 

Alex says, "Well, might we look around?" 

I shake my head, "Let's just head back and spend time with Karl as he is to leave tomorrow." 

Alex shrugs, "Yes I suppose." 

But out of the corner of my eye, I see three people come into view. It's Prince Zak, a jester perhaps, and Zak's personal guard, Sir Blade. Zak is talking to the foolishly dressed jester as Sir Blade follows in security. 

I say, "We should go Alex. The Prince is right over there." 

Alex looks over and says, "Why don't we say hello to him? It'll be nice to get into good spirits with the prince."

I smile, "I think we should head home." 

Prince Zak looks over at us and starts walking over. I tense up and Alex visibly does as well. Prince Zak says, "Hello gentlemen." He looks at me, "What are you doing back at the castle Darryl?" 

I reply, "W-well prince Zak, my friend and I here were dropping off tools to the royal guard but we are done now and on our way." 

Prince Zak says, "Darryl, no need to call my Prince, Zak is perfect as it is." 

I nod, "Yes Zak, of course, my apologies." 

Alex says, "Prince Zak, it is an honor to meet you. I am Alex, official blacksmith for Badlands." 

Zak says, "Nice to meet you as well. Both of you are the blacksmith for Badlands?" We both nod, Zak says, "I've seen your welding, its noble work." Zak says, "Oh and let me introduce you to our jester, Arran." 

Arran says, "Hello! Nice to meet the two of you! Would you like to stay for a show?" 

We shake our heads, I say, "We'd love to but we must head home. A distant friend of ours is in town and we must have a feast to celebrate." 

Zak says, "Of course. Well, it was nice to meet you Alex. And it's nice to see you again Darryl." I can feel my heart skip a beat, but ignore it. 

I say, "Nice to see you again as well Zak. We'll be off, have a great day." 

Zak says, "Have a great day." 

Alex and I grab the cart and sit in it as the horse takes us home. Alex says, "Darryl! How does the prince already know you?" 

I reply, "Well...the Ahmed family took interest in Lucy and I as potential partners for their son and daughter. A couple days ago, we even came to the castle for dinner." 

Alex gasps, "And you did not let me know?" 

I shrug, "I don't know. It's been complex." 

Alex asks, "How? You might marry the princess?!" 

I sigh, "You are right, I'll tell you whatever happens from now on." 

Alex smiles, "So, how is the princess?" 

I shrug, "She's...a treasure. I'm honored to be considered." 

Alex nods, "This is fantastic. I'm a close pal of a future prince." 

I laugh, "We'll see." 

We get home and wake up Karl from bed. Alex yells, "Let's go to the pub!" 

Karl flies up and says, "Your back. Let's go!" 

We grab some change and head off to the pub. Karl, Alex, Mr. Schlatt, Michael, and I eat and drink the night away!

Word Count: 1238