5. Dinner

Darryl POV:

Two days later, my mother got my sister and I prepared for dinner at the castle. I got dressed in some fancy robes as my mother and sister wore specially made dresses for this by my mother. I look out the window in the distance to see whether there is a carriage heading towards us. But not yet. So I return my gaze back inside.

My mother says, "Darryl! Lucy! Come here so we can discuss the etiquette needed." Lucy and I sit in front of my mother.

She says, "As soon as we step onto that carriage it will be royal property. We must maintain a respectful, proper demeanor the entire time. Unlike when they were here, it's different. One wrong thing could end up with Darryl locked up.

And I don't know whether I should say this or not but...I think they might be interested in you both for marriage!"

Lucy gasps, "W-what? Really mother! I marry the prince?!"

My mother nods, "I've seen how they've taken a bit of interest and it's only a matter of time before the prince becomes king so they'd want him to be married. And I can visibly see the interest princess Samira has in Darryl."

I don't know but after hearing such news, I'm supposed to be ecstatic aren't I? I can marry a princess and my sister gets to marry the future king. But this "wonderful" news isn't so wonderful after all...I ask, "What would happen if we were to get married?"

My mother replies, "Well you would live in the castle of course."

Lucy asks, "What about you?"

My mother shrugs, "I don't know whether I'd be invited or not. But I'm fine here in the village. The Ahmed's aren't bad people but I wouldn't want to turn into one of them either."

I respond, "Hmm...and what about the town?"

My mother asks, "What about it?"

I reply, "I don't want to really leave here, I love being here."

My mother laughs, "Darryl, you do not see it right now but the castle will provide everything you've given to everyone and more. This town will be fine without you. We will miss you, but we can all stand on our feet."

I shrug, "I suppose but..."

My mother says, "No buts. Just focus on being yourself and winning the princesses affection and you'll be on your way to the castle in no time."

I give a fake smile, "Of course."

Lucy looks out the window and says, "They're here! They're here!"

My mother rushes up, "Ok children, now keep your posture right and yourself proper."

The carriage driver knocks on our door, "Carriage for the Saint family." We walk out and step into the carriage. The trip took around 2 hours or so until we reached the castle from home. The man opens the door for us to get out and we step down.

The king, queen, prince, and princess are all awaiting at the entrance. King Ahmed says, "Welcome Saint family!" We smile and thank him for inviting us.

Queen Ahmed says, "Nice to have you over."

My mother says, "Thank you, it's a pleasure."

Samira looks extra happy once I bow to her. I say, "Thank you princess Samira for allowing my family and I to come to your home."

She smiles, "It's our pleasure to have you over."

The prince says, "No need for all the formalities Darryl." I look over at him and for a second I see a smile on his face.