12. Surprise

Darryl POV:

I wake in the morning like any other day. It's been 2 days since I have seen Zak. With the wedding soon, everyone around town wants to see me, has a gift, or my mother has me run errands. It's been so hectic. I feel my heart and brain are going to explode at once. 

I go to the kitchen saying, "Good morning." 

My mother and Lucy, who are preparing breakfast, reply, "Good morning." I help them prepare before we sit down to eat. 

My mother says, "Darryl, in a week or so you'll be married to the princess!" 

I nod, "Yes. You have been saying that for the past while." 

She looks over to Lucy, "And you will be marrying the soon to be king!" 

Lucy squeals, "I cannot wait!" 

My mother asks, "Darryl, why aren't you as excited as Lucy?" 

I take a forkful of eggs, "Must be my masculine biology." 

She makes a confused face, "Speaking nonsense. What if Princess Samira were to show up and she sees you this upset? That would upset her as well!" 

I laugh, "See, I can smile and laugh. I'm not glum. And, what would Samira be doing in our town mother? She would not want to be here with us. If not, I would have wanted to live here with her. But she is no less than the castle." 

My mother replies, "Almost sounds as if you're speaking ill of her Darryl. You better have your mouth sewn to speak of her as such." 

I say, "It is not a bad thing. I was just mentioning, living here is what I want. It's not what I will have though." 

Lucy says, "I'm alright with moving to the castle. It'll take adjusting, but I'm sure we will feel welcome!" 

My mother adds, "You better. If they do not treat you correctly there, ride back here and take me with you so I can give them a proper beating."

I laugh, "No need for that mother." 

She shrugs, "If needed, I will do so. No hesitation." 

We finished breakfast and I went to change my clothes before leaving home. I get a handful of coins to put in my pocket before heading out. I say, "Mother, Lucy, I'm going out!" 

They reply, "Ok, be careful Darryl." 

I open the door then bump into a figure in front of me. I step back and open my eyes to see..."Prince Zak?!" 

And behind him is none other than..."Princess Samira?!" Zak and I gaze at each other. I want nothing more than to just pull him as close to me as possible and feel that heat between us again. 

Zak smiles, "Hello Darryl." 

Samira shoves him aside and hugs me, nearly choking my neck, "Hi Darryl!" 

My mother and Lucy rush behind me with Cara saying, "Oh! Prince and Princess, to what do we owe the honor of your visit?" 

Zak replies, "Ah, well Samira and I came to personally deliver an invitation to the castle tomorrow. And we came personally because Samira had suggested we tour the Badlands." 

My mother says, "Oh why yes! Lucy has to change, but right after you all may leave and see around. Come in, come in." We all go inside and Lucy goes into a room to change as the rest of us sit at the table. 

I ask, "If you don't mind me asking, how did you get here?" 

Zak replies, "By carriage. We left it not that far from here with our coachman."