4. Visit

Zak POV:

A few days later, my family is still swooning over the Saint family. We're sitting at the breakfast table and my father says, "Should we go to the Badlands today? We could maybe eat dinner at the Saints so Samira could see Darryl again." 

Samira says, "Oh yes! We should go!" 

My mother says, "We should send a letter before we leave so Mrs. Saint knows we are to come over." 

I ask, "Why are we going? Samira can see him whenever we'll be in town next." 

My mother says, "What about you Zak? You can spend time with Lucy. She seems very sweet." 

I reply, "She is, but we have more important matters to attend to." 

My father asks, "Such as?" 

I shrug, "Your king. Are there not duties to uphold?" 

He replies, "Don't talk to me as such Zak. I will go where I want, when I want. I am king. And we will go to the Saint household later on. Geo!" 

Geo stands next to my father, "Yes King Ahmed?" 

My father says, "Send a letter immediately to Caroline Saint and her family that we will attend their dinner later." 

Geo nods, "Yes sir, right away." He leaves to write and send the note while my family and I finish our food. 

Once finished, I go to my room. I lay on my bed and sigh. It's not as if I don't want to see Darryl...he makes my heart flutter...But then it cracks when I see him and my sister enjoying time together...Lucy is an alright girl, she wouldn't be a bad wife. 

She seems sweet and perhaps it would be better for me to get to know her better today. I'll be forced to go either way, but I might as well keep my thoughts to myself from now on. My parents clearly do not listen to my input and have a mind of their own. 

Samira barges into my room, "Zak! Do not ruin my evening with Darryl! He is a fine man that I want to wed. He will be mine and I will not have your horse dally about whether he is horrible or not ruining anything." 

I sit there staring, "I never said he's horrible." 

Samira scoffs, "Do you not want me to have a husband?" 

I reply, "No, I do want that for you. It's just...why Darryl?" 

Samira says, "Well what's not to like about him? He's a family man and he's a teacher, did you know? He has muscles defined like no other I've seen around. He is very respectful and wise with his words and actions. He's a gentleman to me and everyone he speaks with. 

That night in the town, Darryl had told me since his fathers passing, he's been trying to hold his own legacy. Darryl has been the best man I've met, besides father and you of course." 

I smile, "Yes, he's a good man." 

Samira smiles, "And he's going to be my husband!" 

The smile on my face fades, "Yes, your future husband." 

She says, "Well, I'll leave you alone then brother." 

She leaves my room and I decide to go to the library. I walk to the first bookshelf where we have a fine collection of literature written by the greatest writers of the time. I look through the different selection of books until I stumble upon a classic; Romeo and Juliet. 

There's a small seat next to a table that is for my sister and I to use when we read. My parents have their own seats with a table for their afternoon dining. I sit in the seat and crack open the book.