chapter 3 - my apologies

Andys POV

I managed to calm Maya down and left to go up to the beanery to eat. To be honest I'm shocked at Maya's response to what happened. Unfortunately, this has happened a few times before, Maya gets caught off guard by somebody touching her and she breaks down.

This time it was different, Maya usually gets mad at somebody when they do this, and blames them and basically has no pity for the person, but this time she seemed to understand that they didn't know what they were doing wasn't in Mayas best interests. I brushed it off assuming it was nothing though, as me prodding around into Maya's life wouldn't have done any good. 

Engine 19

Ladder 19

Aid car

*****

Andy's POV

The team had finished the call and were heading back to the station except for me and warren who was riding in the aid car back to the hospital.

We pulled up and exchanged information with grey Sloan and I walking into the hospital whilst warren was cleaning the aid car up.

Truth be told I only volunteered to go with warren in the aid car because I wanted to talk to dr DeLuca. I knew that if I told Maya that I was coming to see her she would go mad at me, but I just wanted carina to know that Maya was going to be a bit wary when she saw carina next.

Usually, this wouldn't be necessary because Maya would yell at them and would make it pretty obvious that she wasn't happy with them but this time for some reason she seemed to hold off until carina was gone.

I was walking through the hospital hoping that I would just walk past dr DeLuca in the hallway, but it appeared that I would have to find her office

After asking a few nurses for the way I finally came across a door reading "Dr DeLuca" and knocked against it

"come in" I heard carina shout from inside

"oh, Herrera is it?" she questioned

"yeah, hi, you can call me Andy"

"well, is there anything I can help you with Andy?" she smiles 

"Yeah actually, I heard you came by the station a few days ago to see about the PRT, did you agree?" I asked trying to bring the topic up easily

"sí, I did, I actually start on Monday" carina replied

"that's great! So, this may seem a bit weird but did you by any chance touch Maya when she was showing you around?" I asked not knowing any other way to get that information.

"uh... no, I don't think so, I offered to shake her hand, but she said that it wasn't her thing, so I dropped it. Oh, coming to think of it I put my hand on her shoulder as I left but that was it. Why'd you ask?" carina replied questionably not really understanding why I asked

"well, I know this is strange but Maya has a thing with being touched, none of us know why, and none of us have really questioned it, I guess it's just something that we avoid. But anyway, after you left the other day, she kind of had a freak-out about it and I just wanted you to know to be cautious when you come in next because she'll probably be on edge" I said cautiously knowing that people tend to have quite different reactions to things like this.

"oh, I'm so sorry I had no idea, I should've realized when she didn't want to shake my hand, I can't believe I did that, is she ok?" carina replied franticly

"no, no, don't worry carina, you didn't know, she's ok now she just panicked when it happened, surprisingly she was a lot calmer than usual though, I usually wouldn't have to come and tell you this because she would've yelled at you, but she must have felt safer with you or something, I don't know?"

"Should I apologize or something, I feel so bad"

"to be honest it would probably be better to just ignore it and just know for the future, she gets really defensive whenever someone brings it up"

"ok, well thank you for telling me Andy and I won't ever do it again, you have my word!"

"no problem dr DeLuca, anyway I will see you on Monday" I replied before heading out and making my way back to the station.

*****

A/N 

-  I know the chapters are quite short at the moment, it's why I keep updating but they get bigger soon don't worry. 

- what are you thinking at the moment?

- anything you want to see specifically?