chapter 22 - opening up

T/W = mentions of sexual assult

Ava's POV

I didn't know how to feel about the situation. They seemed nice, but so did my dad's friends at first. I was in their car with them and couldn't help but feel anxious about what was happening.

I have been taken somewhere in the back of many cars before and none of them ended well. My dad's friends would take me somewhere in my sleep, they would tie me up and do things to me. No matter how much I thought carina and Maya wouldn't do that, the thought wouldn't leave my mind.

"Ok, were here," Maya said, breaking me out of my thoughts

They took me inside and it was beautiful. It was nothing like my dad's house. The furniture was clean, there wasn't food everywhere, there wasn't broken bottles everywhere, it didn't smell of alcohol or drugs, it was amazing.

They showed me around and showed me the spare room they had. They left me to settle down in the spare room, but I was anything but settled. The room looked exactly like my old one. It was clean and tidy, but everything was laid out in the same way, the bed was in the same place my mattress was laid on the floor, there was a cabinet right where my old one used to be before they smashed it. The only difference was that there weren't any holes in the walls where they used to throw me against it.

I walked over next to the bed, and everything come back from that one night. I felt my chest getting tighter and my breaths becoming shallow but there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Carina's POV

"Do you think we should've left her alone?" Maya asks frantically

"Maya, relax, if something is wrong, she will tell us,"

"Yeah, she does give that impression" she laughed

"she's hiding something" i tell her

"Hm?" Maya asks confused

"You were exactly how she was, cracking jokes to hide how you really felt. Then you broke down"

"And I sincerely apologise that you had to deal with that" she joked

We cuddled up on the sofa for a while until I heard something coming from the room Ava was in.

"Maya, do you hear that?"

"Hm?" she said turning the tv down

We listened for a bit until we caught on.

"You stay here, I'll go check on her," I say

"ok"

I walk up to her bedroom door and listen for a minute until I can hear her hyperventilating.

"Ava?" I ask as I knock on the door

"Can I come in?" I ask but get no reply. When I hear her struggling to breathe, I open the door and saw her sitting against the wall grabbing at her chest

"Hey, look at me"

"it's just me, I'm not going to hurt you, I'm staying over here, ok?"

"Take a deep breath Bella, come on," I say, trying to get her breathing under control

"I- can't-." She gets out

"Yes, you can, look at me Bella, one deep breath" she managed to take a shaky breath

"Good girl, come on, one more," I say as she takes another one

"Keep doing that, are you ok? What happened?"

"Nothing, I'm fine!"

"Ok, you don't have to tell me, but you can if you want to"

"I need to get out of this room" she whispers