3. Eggs, Toast, & Derealization

In the morning, Y/N woke to the smell of eggs and toast. She focused on the cool concrete against her warm feet as she padded out to the kitchen. 'Being present' or whatever those dumb self-help books were always preaching about.

"Good morning. I was trying to surprise you."

"Good morning. You didn't have to do this."

"Well, then, I'm doing it for myself."

"Why did you come here?"

"I fucked up."

"No fucking shit. Kakashi, you literally disappeared. Sai and Tenzo disappeared too. We were all dealt a shit hand. But you all went your separate ways. I was left all alone for the first time in years."

"What did you expect would happen once we got out of that shit hole?"

"Anything, except what actually happened."

Kakashi plated the food and set Y/N's portion in front of her. They ate in silence. There was a lot to be discussed, he just didn't know where to begin.

Kakashi cleared his throat and turned to Y/N, "I went to see an old friend."

Y/N focused on her food, the yellow of the eggs and the grains in the toast. Must have been an old, old friend, since we've known each other for ten years.

"I can't say he is up to any good these days. I think you know him too."

"Kakashi? Why are you telling me this?"

"Does Obito Uchiha mean anything to you?"

"No," she shook her head, anyone with the name Uchiha attached to their name meant trouble for her, criminals and police don't exactly fit in the same room together.

"Y/N, please."

"I don't know an Obito!"

Kakashi's eyes went dark, "Maybe you know him as Tobi?"

Her eyes went wide. Tobi. Tobi leads the Akatsuki. There was clearly a lot she didn't know about her current employer. Is that how Kakashi found out where she lived? Does Kakashi know what type of relationship she shared with the Akatsuki leader?

"Y/N, why would you get involved with the Akatsuki?"

"Why would..." she stopped. She did her best to hide the embarrassment of not knowing Tobi's true identity. She spoke again, "Why would he tell you? How do you even know him?"

"That's not the point. Y/N you need to stop before you get yourself killed."

She narrowed her eyes at him, "I think you need to explain to me how I came up in your conversation," she said sternly as Kakashi got up to clean his dish, still silent, "Kakashi, explain!"

"He's a friend from childhood. I went to him to see if I could get onto the police force. He asked me about my time in the Root. We were drinking and I showed him our team picture. He laughed when he saw you. He said it made sense now. Then I made him tell me how he knew you."

"The police force? Does he know where I live?"

Y/N met Tobi the night after she had been discharged from the Root. He found out about her time in the Root and said he was in need of someone he could trust to do unpleasant jobs here and there. She would make great money if she agreed to work with him. One thing led to the next and she began to pick up jobs for the Akatsuki as well as spending a few nights with Tobi... or Obito.

"No, why? Should he?"

"No! How did you find me?"

"I didn't just disappear, Y/N, I did keep some tabs on you and... the others."

She relaxed a bit. It seems Tobi kept their interactions a secret from Kakashi. But, he had kept his name a secret from her. However, the realization that Kakashi knew where she had been this whole time and was just now visiting her set her rage off once more. She wanted to ask about her old teammates but she couldn't let Kakashi off so easy.

"So what? You're with the police now?"

"No, I was warned by Obito about the force. It's pretty much dominated by the Uchiha clan."

"So why now, Kakashi? If you've known where I was this whole time, why now?"

"I got hired as a royal guard for the Hyuga family. I know I can get you in as well."

She laughed hard. She pushed Kakashi out of her way with her hip and started on the dishes.

"What Y/N? Why is that so funny?"

"How much do you make?"

"Enough to live comfortably."

"I'm not trying to live comfortably."

"You want to keep killing?"

"No. That's just what I'm good at. It pays. I'm getting an island. I'm not answering to anyone anymore. Not the Root. Not his holiness, Lord Third. Just me."

Kakashi just started at her for a moment, "Oh my god, you're serious."

The two began to argue. Kakashi couldn't believe what he was hearing. Back in the Root, he knew Y/N never fully lost touch with her emotions, like they had been trained and expected to do. She was kind and compassionate, or so he thought. Now he realized that perhaps those feelings were only reserved for him. Feelings that had gone out the window when he abandoned her at the war's end.

"You've known where I was the entire time! How can you say you care for me?"

"Y/N... I... I did this for you! I didn't forget about you. I wanted to have something to offer you," Kakashi's voice got lower, "I wanted to build a life for you... with you."

Just then, their attention was captured by the television. A news reporter stood outside of an alleyway reporting on a dead body that had been found behind a deli shop. They announced that a note had been pinned to the body. The Akatsuki were responsible.

The screen then cut to the Police Chief, Madara Uchiha. Neither, Kakashi nor Y/N, listened to his words. Instead, Kakashi looked to her.

"That was you," he didn't wait for her response, "Listen, you can trust me. I won't say anything. Whenever you decide to stop being an idiot, the guard position will be there for you. Just stay alive."

With that Kakashi picked up his things, getting ready to leave. He scribbled his number on a piece of paper and left it on Y/N's kitchen counter.

When the door closed, Y/N just stood still. The sound coming from the television faded. She was no longer seeing her apartment, only shapes and a blur of colors. Perhaps she felt regret, not enough to chase after him.

Don't forget to vote and comment!