14. One Pad to the Next

Jiraiya woke to the subtle smell of oatmeal and the not-so-subtle smell of the bottom of the pot burning.

"Oh fuck, fuck, fuck."

The pot was clinked around, water splashed, and a string of curse words came next. Jiraiya hopped up and stumbled to the kitchen to see Y/N had already taken care of whatever was burning. She held the pan up to inspect the bottom.

"I forgot you only use one pan. This one still had the sticker on it."

Jiraiya let out a sigh and began taking bowls down for the oatmeal. He was still shirtless and she was still clueless as to how she ended up shirtless in his bed. She found herself staring at his chest again as he portioned out the oatmeal into the bowls.

"You've got a staring problem; you know that?"

"Sorry."

"Don't be. I know I'm fucking ripped for my age," he laughed.

"How did you end up on the couch?"

They took their seats in the living room where they had their tea the night before.

"You don't remember?"

"Do you think I'd ask if I did?"

"Well... you and I..."

Y/N's face got hot. Oh god. What did we do?

"Kidding."

"Then what happened? Tell me!"

"The war happened! You didn't listen to me and you went out there and got fucked up."

He regretted it the moment before the words escaped his mouth. She set her spoon down and pushed the oatmeal aside. This is why she didn't come back to him immediately after the war. The trip she had with Sai was clearly strong enough to make her forget that. She stood up and started to gather her things. The night before returned in flashes. She took her shirt off and Jiraiya saw the scars. She pushed the rest of the memories from her thoughts.

"Y/N, please sit down. Please don't go."

"So you can berate me? As if I didn't spend the last ten years being dehumanized and degraded? I know I fucked up. And for what? Everyone in power is more corrupt than ever!"

"Y/N, please. I'm... I have nothing to say. It was uncalled for. What do you mean by more corrupt than ever?"

"God, I don't even know what to say to you right now," she turned to make her way to the door.

Jiraiya caught her arm and pulled her back, "I thought you were dead. I hated you for that. Then seeing you come back, like a ghost, Y/N? I'm angry. Not with you. With what's been done. My war was supposed to be the last. But, something made you come here. Something told you to come see me. Do you need help? Please, let me help you."

Y/N stared at him. She was suddenly aware of why she avoided him in the year she had been back in Konoha. He loved her. The way he gripped her arm and begged her not to go. Not only now but, back then as well. He loved her in a way she couldn't return. To her, they were purely... platonic.

"Jiraiya."

"Y/N. What did you get yourself into? Let me help you."

"I don't think you can."

"Tell. Me."

"The Uchiha and the Akatsuki. No matter which way I run, they have shit on me. I... can't get out now until my current contract is up."

"Stay here with me."

It wasn't an option. As badly as she wanted out, it wouldn't be this way. Not with him.