5. Anticipation

"If we go to Madara and tell him we're together, he will spare you from all of this."

"Spare me? Like I'm a criminal? I did my job Obito. I didn't have any other choice. Escaping from that hell would have been a certain death. And, we aren't together! You lied to me!"

"I don't want you to go to that meeting tomorrow night. I don't want your crazy ass accepting that job."

"That isn't for you to decide. What's the job?"

"You'll get offered enough to live out your every fantasy; but, it might as well cost you your life."

"Who?"

"Danzo."

Y/N laughed, a deep belly laugh, "You're joking."

Shit. It wasn't really funny. It was terrifying.

"Obito, give me a moment," with that, Y/N walked into the bathroom, turning the water and the fan on so Obito couldn't hear her.

She went straight for the toilet and threw up what little she had eaten earlier. Danzo had taught her everything she knew; but, he wasn't someone she could easily call a friend.

~~~

When she walked out of the bathroom, Obito was by the curtained window, pacing. He had one hand on his hip and the other stretched up with his fingers laced through his hair. His coat was now thrown over a chair and his shirt had been unbuttoned a bit. There were still drops of blood on his collar from the fight in the alley earlier.

He looked at Y/N and stopped in his tracks, "Shit, you need to sit down. You're pale."

The color had gone out of Y/N's face entirely. The thought of assassinating the man who made her who she is was... tricky. Yet, if Y/N could kill the man who had been the cause of all her trauma, it might prove to be therapeutic.

Obito led Y/N to a chair and sat her down. He poured her a cup of water and made her drink. He crouched by her side and spoke gently.

"Now you see why I don't want you to take the job."

"But... I'm perfect for it."

Obito frowned, "That's exactly what Madara said."

"Madara? Captain Uchiha?"

Obito nodded and said, "My boss. And uncle."

"I'm going to accept the job."

Obito immediately stood up and resumed his pacing from before. His breathing was loud, like he was holding back the urge to yell. His muscles rippled underneath the fitted fabric of his shirt.

She watched his jaw clench and her eyes followed the deep lines that covered the right side of his face.

She recalled how he used to try to keep the scarred side of his face hidden from her. As they got closer, he relaxed around her, letting his right side show more. The mask was something she thought was to hide himself from everyone. It hurt a little to know it was actually hiding his true identity from everyone.

Y/N let a long sigh out and remembered who she was, what her goal was. The color returned and her face, now set in stone, as she stood up to face Obito.

"Hey! You don't get to act like this. Not when you were the one who started this!"

"Things change. I wasn't supposed to get to know you. I wasn't supposed to..."

"Supposed to what? Obito?"

"We weren't supposed to get involved with one another."

"Then stop being involved with me. I didn't even know your real name until a few moments ago. Everything that has happened between us over that past year was all... pointless."

"Y/N, only the name was fake," Obito stepped closer to Y/N. He's being genuine.

"Let me ask you this, were you going to remain 'Tobi' if I would have never asked?" Y/N asked with a finger poking into Obito's chest.

"I really hadn't thought that far. But hearing my actual name roll off your tongue is... worth it."

God, his face was so... enticing. His dark eyes and his furrowed brows were enough to let herself get this far with him. Perhaps she would have gotten on her knees right then and there for him if the situation was different. Her eyes narrowed, "I'll see you at the meeting tomorrow, Obito."

Y/N rolled her eyes as she pushed past Obito, bumping into him. The lack of touch made Obito's mind reel. Anticipation met with despair.

~~~

She left. There was more to this story and she knew it. Caught up in a terrifying string of thoughts, for the first time in over ten years, Y/N's guard was down. She had been sleeping with a man for a full year and the thought didn't even cross her mind that he had been lying to her about his name. If anything, she would have expected to find out he was married – something along those lines – but, a member of the Uchiha clan was the last thing she expected.

What did this mean legally? The police practically owned her. Would she be blackmailed? Imprisoned? Worse? Obito's words echoed through her mind: You did the dirty work for the country and you were going to be disposed of.

Y/N went into a trance as she walked. She stopped thinking, stopped seeing. It all hurt too much. Her brain just disappeared as she walked down the streets of Konoha.

After she was released from the Root, after she realized Kakashi was gone for good, Y/N slowly let herself be herself. Little by little she softened. She took baths. She drank wine. She made elaborate dinners. All within the walls of her dingy apartment. She became the woman she dreamed of back before the war. She had her own peaceful space all for her. Her only family, a mother and a father, disappeared during the war. Her childhood home, a trailer in a run-down park on the outskirts of town, was left abandoned and no one knew where her parents had gone. Y/N didn't care to search. She was paving her own path now.

Deep within herself she reminisced on her last day in high school. Tensions had been rising between Konoha and Kiri. The Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi, announced what everyone had been dreading. A draft. Gone were the days of the Will of Fire. The death of the Fourth Hokage had seen to that. A draft was enacted and she was among the first to be shipped off to boot camp.

That was where her troubles began.

~~~

As she walked home, Obito followed her. She knew more now which could prove to be dangerous. He would make sure she wouldn't get hurt as long as he could.