8. Let Me In

She made it home just before she couldn't bear to hold back her tears any longer. Y/N fumbled with her keys, got the door open, and slammed it shut. She fell to the floor with her back pressed against the door and let her tears fall. She held her hand over her mouth, not wanting to hear her own sound, not wanting her neighbors to hear.

It was getting harder to breathe as she sobbed. She froze in pure terror when she heard a knock on her door. Her skin was covered in goosebumps and her heart in her stomach. Another knock. And another. She gripped the counter and stood up, placing her other hand around the doorknob. She unlocked the door and opened it ever so slightly to see Obito.

"How do you-"

"I followed you last night. Let me in."

She felt so weak. She was caught like a deer in headlights. She undid the chain lock and swung the door open just wide enough for Obito before closing it shut and locking it once more. She tried to wipe her tears before being pulled into a hug.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry."

"You knew he died."

Obito nodded.

"Telling me... would have ruined your cover."

"I also figured you had known about it already."

"Oh."

It wasn't his fault. Friendships and other aspects of their personal lives hadn't been shared. She gave into her heartbreak and leaned into Obito. Right here, in Obito's arms, she felt safe. This hold he had on her was the most secure thing she had felt in a long time. Kakashi's presence hadn't ever soothed her this much.

Kakashi. Why didn't he tell her about Tenzo?

Obito released Y/N and took her hand, leading her to the bedroom. He pulled her hair back and out of her face as she laid down on the bed. He then moved to lay right beside her. They fit perfectly together in this position.

"What was Tenzo like?"

"He... he was so sweet. He saved my life. A few times," Y/N thought back to Kiri and let a small smile cross her face, "We saved each other's lives. For a bit, it seemed that all we did was get into shit and have to fight our way out of it. But, I never could have done it without him – without any of them."

"Why didn't you stay in contact?"

"Something happened on the day we were released. We just... fell apart. Perhaps they all just wanted to get away from the pain associated with each other's faces? I don't know."

"Tell me about the time he saved your life."

"I had been captured by the Seven Swordsmen."

"Kisame's former group?"

Y/N nodded, "Kisame wasn't there, I had been taken by three of the members. I only know their codenames. Nuibari. Kubikiribocho. And Shibuki."

"I'm surprised you remained alive long enough to get away."

"Barely. When Tenzo found me, I was in bad shape. But, that was the amazing thing. Tenzo had actually tracked them down. He wasn't there to kill them, alone it would have been impossible. No, he came to save me, regardless of the rules he was breaking to do so. He blasted their hideout with some sort of gas and got me out of there."

"What did the swordsmen want with you?"

"I'd rather not..."

"Why do you always block me out?"

"I do not. I would just rather not get into it, not today, not ever."

"I want to learn more about you. Not just sex and killing."

"Aww what's wrong, you don't like the sex?"

"Shut up, I love the sex," Obito said as he rolled on top of Y/N, "I like you, a lot."

"Obito..."

He looked to Y/N's bedside table and saw the piece of paper Kakashi had scribbled his number on. He recognized the number immediately.

"You and Kakashi, I see."

Obito sat back on his haunches, unpinning Y/N. She let out a sigh and sat up.

"We aren't dating, if that's what you're implying."

"Do you... have feelings for him?"

"Maybe then, I did."

"You've been through a lot together, during the war."

"Yeah, we've seen some shit. Obito, what are you getting at?"

"Kakashi and I have history. I... I won't compete with him. I just want to know where your heart lies before I say anything else."

"Right now, it's just me and getting through this next year alive, Obito. I don't want anything more."

"Y/N, you have to admit there's something here between us."

Y/N shrugged. Her one-night-stands with Obito had turned into something more – complex. Their nights usually turned into mornings. Then again, this was also a man who had recruited her as an assassin, lied about his identity, and stalked her to her apartment. 

I won't compete with him. What did that even mean?

He caught her quizzical look, "Y/N, I want to give you the world. You want an island; you can have it. Anything. It's yours. I just want to be at your side."

"Where is all of this coming from?"

"Somewhere along the way... I fell for you, hard."

"Perhaps you should take your uncle's advice. Stop being involved."

"It's deeper than that Y/N!" Obito grabbed her face and kissed her hard, "I love you."

Y/N, her face cupped firmly by Obito's hands, only stared back. The realization hit and hit hard. He knew so much about her and she knew so little about him. It frightened her but, his words rang through her head. You have to admit there's something here between us.

There was.

Don't forget to vote and comment!